->You like this ring? You want to keep the hand this ring is on? If I see or hear or smell you anywhere near my gorillas, you'll be writing with your other hand and I'll have a new ashtray.
A 1988 film directed by Michael Apted, GorillasInTheMist starred Creator/SigourneyWeaver as RealLife naturalist [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dian_Fossey Dian Fossey]]. Fossey was one of "Leakey's Angels", at the time the world's leading researchers in the field of primates, inspired by anthropologist [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Leakey Louis Leakey]]. In the 1960's, she traveled deep into the isolated jungles of Rwanda to study endangered mountain gorillas. Fossey devoted her life to ending poaching at the cost of her relationships with the people around her. Her fight became more and more heated, to the extreme ends of confronting the Rwandan government and eventually burning down a poachers' village, which quickly put her in their crosshairs.
!!This work features examples of:
* AllYourPowersCombined: Universal and Warner Bros. were planning separate movies about Dian Fossey; the two agreed to collaborate on a single movie ([[Film/TheToweringInferno not the first time Warner Bros. did this kind of thing]]).
* BadassBoast: Dian to Van Vecten: "You like this ring? You want to keep the hand this ring is on? If I see or hear or smell you anywhere near my gorillas, you'll be writing with your other hand and I'll have a new ashtray."
* BadassBookworm: Dian Fossey.
* BerserkButton: Do not hurt the gorillas when Dian's near.
* DuelingMovies: Averted (see AllYourPowersCombined above).
* EverythingsBetterWithMonkeys: Or in this case, apes.
* ForegoneConclusion: [[spoiler:Dian is murdered by poachers.]]
* GoingNative: After 15 years on the mountain, Dian most definitely qualifies.
* MamaBear: Dian Fossey came to consider the gorillas her family. So needless to say, she became very protective of them, and when any of them died, she got ''pissed''.
* MotherlyScientist: Dian Fossey.
* PrecisionFStrike: After [[spoiler:Digit's death]], she refers to her team as "fucking wogs". It's a sign of her SanitySlippage.