Also known as '''''Gainsbourg (Vie Héroïque)''''' ("heroic life" in French), '''Gainsbourg''' is a surreal 2010 biopic about Music/SergeGainsbourg, the French singer/songwriter, actor, and director. It begins during his childhood in Nazi-occupied France (he was the child of Russian Jews and was eventually forced into hiding) and follows him throughout his life (though the film is scant on specific details, so those unfamiliar with the man's work may be a little lost at times).
* BigEntrance: How Brigitte Bardot is introduced - her walking down a [[EmergingFromTheShadows shadowy hall]], the camera panning along her body and an instrumental of "Initials BB" playing all the while.
* FingerSuckHealing: Juliette Greco uses this on Serge.
* FreudianTrio: Serge's three main affairs fit this.
** Juliette Greco is mysterious, spiritual and distant - the Superego.
** Brigitte Bardot is fun-loving and the most sex-driven of the three - the Id.
** Jane Birkin is the one most emotionally attuned to Serge and is more down-to-earth than the other two - the Ego.
* MaleFrontalNudity: Serge, once or twice, and discreetly.
* ModestyBedsheet: Used by Laetitia Casta, playing Brigitte Bardot, as she dances to a song Gainsbourg plays.
* NeverTrustATrailer: Most trailers milk the fact that Brigitte Bardot is a character, even though her screentime probably doesn't reach ten minutes and her segment is relatively self-contained. They also ignore the fantasy elements of the film.
* NotSoImaginaryFriend: La Gueule's presence is never acknowledged by anyone other than Serge, but it still does things like dancing with Greco and setting fire to Serge's atelier.