''Flesh and the Devil'' is a 1926 silent film starring JohnGilbert, then at the height of his fame, and a Swedish actress new to America named Creator/GretaGarbo. Leo (Gilbert) and Ulrich (Lars Hanson) are childhood friends and soldiers in the Kaiser's army. Gilbert falls in love with the exotic, mysterious Felicitas (Garbo) only to find out that she's a married woman. When her husband discovers the affair events take a tragic turn and the Army ships Leo out to Africa. He comes back to find out that Felicitas has married Ulrich.
''Flesh and the Devil'' was a huge hit and a milestone in the careers of both Garbo and director Clarence Brown. It was inducted into the NationalFilmRegistry in 2006.
!!This film provides examples of:
* ChildhoodFriendRomance: Hertha is clearly besotted with Leo but he only has eyes for Felicitas.
* DuelToTheDeath: Leo and Count von Rhaden.
* GoldDigger: Felicitas.
* HoYay: Hard to say how much is intentional and how much is simple meant to be signs of HeterosexualLifePartners, but Leo and Ulrich are shown (in a flashback to their childhood) to become BloodBrothers in a very wedding-like ritual, they often hug and caress each other in a very intimate way, calling each other things like "My beloved" and generally seems to be more interested in each other than in Felicitas.
* LaserGuidedKarma: Leo and Ulrich have gone to an island in a lake to fight a duel over Felicitas. She runs across the ice of the frozen lake to stop them--until she falls through and drowns.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Felicitas has an attack of conscience at the end of the film. It turns out to be a bad idea.
* ReassignedToAntarctica: Or German Southwest Africa, as the case may be.
* RomanceOnTheSet: Gilbert and Garbo embarked on a long, torrid affair during production of this film. It shows onscreen.
* SheIsAllGrownUp: When Leo returns he finds that Ulrich's spunky young sister Hertha has become a lovely young woman. He doesn't even recognize her at first.
* SmokingIsGlamorous: Brown gets a lot of mileage from the scene where Leo lights Felicitas's cigarette.
* StarMakingRole: This was Garbo's third film in America, and the one that made her huge.
* TitleDrop: It comes from the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Common_Prayer Book of Common Prayer]].
* TheVamp: Felicitas.