''Fairy Tale: A True Story'' is a 1997 film about two young girls, Elsie (Florence Hoath) and her cousin Frances (Elizabeth Earl), who claim to play with fairies. One day, to prove to Elsie's parents that they aren't making it up, the girls take several photographs of them. Shocked, her mother takes the photos to an expert and they are declared genuine. Word gets out, and the girls become instant celebrities and the press and fairy hunters descend on their home.
The film also stars Creator/HarveyKeitel as Creator/HarryHoudini and Creator/PeterOToole as Sir Creator/ArthurConanDoyle.
!!Provides Examples Of:
* BasedOnAGreatBigLie: One of the [[RealLife real]] girls confessed on her deathbed in the 1980s that they faked the whole thing with paper cutouts.
* HistoricalDomainCharacter: Both Houdini and Doyle.
* PosthumousCharacter: Joseph.
* VeryLooselyBasedOnATrueStory: The film is story of [[http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/photo_database/image/the_cottingley_fairies/ The Cottingley Fairies]], which is followed pretty close to fact - except those were ''fake''.
* WorldWarOne: The film takes place in England during the war.