''Escape from Sobibor'' is a 1987 British made-for-TV film that dramatizes the 1943 escape of over three hundred prisoners from the Sobibor extermination camp. Inmates who were selectively spared for their skills in manufacturing material goods plot their escape from the camp, in part utilizing the skills they possess to make it happen. The film stars stars Creator/AlanArkin and Creator/RutgerHauer; it is based on the book of the same written by Richard Rashke, and camp survivor Thomas Blatt (who helped Rashke with his book) served as a consultant.
!! ''Escape from Sobibor'' contains examples of the following tropes:
* AwfulTruth: Moses discovers this about the camp when he sees the gas chambers for the first time.
* BittersweetEnding: [[spoiler:Out of the six hundred prisoners that the camp's underground intended to help escape, only three hundred made into the forests -- and those were the ones that survived the initial escape. Only fifty or so of those escapees were confirmed to have survived the war. The vast majority died in the weeks following the escape; they were either caught by German search squads, handed over to the Germans by Polish collaborators (if not outright killed by the latter), or vanished without a trace (e.g. Luka and Moses).]]
* BlatantLies: The Nazis tell all new arrivals that they're being sent to the "[[GasChamber showers]]" for decontamination.
* [[POWCamp Concentration Camp]]: The primary, very unfriendly setting.
* ConvenientlyTimedGuard: [[spoiler:One of the guards goes into a senior officer's office and discovers him by spotting blood and following its trail. This marks the turning point of the escape when they had previously gotten along without widespread discovery.]]
* DefiantToTheEnd: Naomi [[spoiler:spits at Wagner's offer to spare her while killing her baby, both figuratively and literally. She holds her baby and smiles in defiance as he shoots her.]]
* EmpathyDollShot: Rooms full of possessions belonging to the people sent to the "shower."
* FauxAffablyEvil: Sergeant Wagner; Captain Reichleitner
* GoryDiscretionShot: The film uses this whenever a character is murdered. One exception is [[spoiler:when the Nazis execute 26 prisoners for trying to escape and tell the others that anyone who averts his/her eyes will be executed.]] The scene is shot from a long range, though.
* KarmaHoudini: Largely averted by the camp guards, who were either killed later during the war or prosecuted at various points after the war.
** Sergeant Wagner was [[spoiler:found in hiding in Brazil. The Brazilian government refused to extradite him, but he was eventually found dead with a knife embedded in his chest. The local courts ruled it a suicide.]]
* LesCollaborateurs: Deconstructed with the Kapos; Kapo Berliner provides the most straight example.
* OhCrap: The Nazi guards' reactions to the uprising.
** Also the leaders of the revolt when SS reinforcements unexpectedly arrive at the camp on the planned day of the escape. [[spoiler:They are forced to postpone the escape until the next day.]]
* RedsWithRockets: They show up fairly late in the film, as [=POWs=].
* ReleasedToElsewhere: The Nazis try this, but the prisoners selected to work learn the truth pretty quickly.
* RousingSpeech: Leon and Sasha give one to the prisoners just before they break out.
* SadisticChoice: After a group of prisoners is caught trying to escape, Sergeant Wagner not only has them publicly executed, but he forces each of them to choose a "partner" from the audience to die with them. He threatens to have fifty random prisoners executed if they don't obey.
* SoundtrackDissonance: Strauss plays over loudspeakers while people are marched to the "showers."
* SuddenlyShouting: "There will be no more escape attempts in this camp. I'll repeat that: THERE WILL BE NO MORE ESCAPE ATTEMPTS IN THIS CAMP!"
* ThoseWackyNazis: The main antagonists. (Though "wacky" may not exactly be the right word here...)
* TruthInTelevision: [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sobibor#The_uprising Indeed]].
* WouldHurtAChild: [[spoiler:Sergeant Wagner shoots an infant.]]
* YouKilledMyFather: [[spoiler:Inverted: One of the inmates quietly states "My family.." before hitting an elderly guard in the head with an axe. Subverted with the Szmajzner brothers, who are motivated in their escape by anger at the Nazis for their families deaths, but don't state this before taking down the guards.]]