%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Do not uncomment them without expanding them to explain how they apply in a way that someone who has not seen the film will understand.
''East Is East'' is a 1999 British comedy-drama film. It is set in a British household of mixed ethnicity, with a Pakistani father and an English mother in Salford, Greater Manchester, in 1971. George Khan (played by Om Puri), the father, expects his family to follow his strict Pakistani ways, but his children, who were born and grew up in Britain, increasingly see themselves as British. They reject their father's rules on dress, food, religion and living in general.
''East Is East'' is based on the play of the same name by Ayub Khan-Din. It was directed by Damien O'Donnell. A sequel, ''West Is West'', was released in 2010; Om Puri, Linda Bassett and Jimi Mistry reprised their roles.
!!This film contains examples of:
* ArrangedMarriage: George's attempt at this causes a bit of friction with his British-born sons.
* AwLookTheyReallyDoLoveEachOther: A couple of moments between George and Ella.
* BaconAddiction: When George goes out of town, the kids take the opportunity to scarf down as much bacon as they can, while Maneer sprays air-freshener everywhere.
* BerserkButton: What causes George to snap and savagely beat Ella to the ground is her calling him "pig-ignorant" - pigs are considered unclean by Muslims, so that's much more of an insult than it might seem, whether this occurred to Ella or not.
%%* BlackSheep: Nazir, Sajid.
** Meenah mocks her mother's posh "receiving-guests" affectations: "Raighty-ho!"
** Tariq, who like his siblings has a thick Mancunian accent, also puts on a Pakistani one to mock his Dad.
%%* CampGay: Etienne. Nazir seems more StraightGay.
%%* TheCasanova: Tariq.
* CircumcisionAngst: Sajid isn't the one angsting about it, his father is; Sajid's understandably terrified at the idea.
* CoolCar: Nazir's Rolls, which gets chased down the street by a gaggle of children.
%%* TheDutifulSon: Maneer.
%%* FamilyBusiness: The chippy.
* HairTriggerTemper: George is one scary guy!
* HumiliationConga: After having an artistic rendering of a vagina dropped into her lap, the stuffy Mrs. Shah calls the Khans "a jungly family" and [[HalfBreedDiscrimination halfbreeds]]. She is then accosted by Ella who calls her daughters "inbred monstrosities" and commands Shah and her family to leave the family home in no uncertain terms, likening their daughters to Laurel and Hardy in the process. Having vacated the premises, Mrs. Shah is set upon by a lecherous dalmation. It's a vicious Conga to be sure, but a thoroughly deserved one for such a rude woman. The whole process doubles as a HumiliationConga for George who wanted to marry his sons into the Shah family. The humiliation isn't quite over for him as he is accosted by his sons when he attempts to strike Ella. After being forced out of his home, he has to sleep in the chip shop.
* IHaveBrothers: Meenah is maybe the third most sensitive of the kids.
* IHaveNoSon: Well, "I Only Have Five Sons"... leads to a hilarious [[TheReveal Reveal]]:
-->'''Ella:''' Oh, he's not dead! He's living in Eccles!
* TheLadette: Foul-mouthed, rough-housing, trouser-wearing Meenah. See her fancy footie for further proof.
* LiteraryAllusionTitle: Both the original and the sequel, to Creator/RudyardKipling's "[[http://www.bartleby.com/246/1129.html The Ballad of East and West]];" "Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet."
%%* MamaBear: Ella.
* MassiveNumberedSiblings: Six brothers, one sister.
* NWordPrivileges: The Khan children frequently refer to Pakistani-born immigrants as "Pakis", not considering it to apply to them. This is both PlayedForDrama ("I'm not [[ArrangedMarriage marryin']] a ''fucking'' Paki!") and PlayedForLaughs ("The Pakis are 'ere!")
* NothingButHits: Played with, as the hits alternate from 70's British pop to bhangra.
* OOCIsSeriousBusiness: George realises that if even [[TheDutifulSon Maneer]] is against him, he must have really fucked up.
%%* TheQuietOne: Maneer.
* TheReasonYouSuckSpeech: Ella lays two of these on George and a brutally funny one on Mrs. Shah.
* RunawayGroom: Nazir, at the beginning of the film. It's from an ArrangedMarriage, and he has... [[CampGay other reasons]].
%%* TheRuntAtTheEnd: Sajid.
* SpotOfTea: "I'll have half a cup."
* StarCrossedLovers: Stella seems to think she and Tariq are, but he's pretty openly apathetic about her.
* ThisIsMyNameOnForeign: Nazir calls himself Nigel, and when they go to a club, Tariq is Tony and Abdul is Arthur.