A 1956 BMovie directed by Fred Sears and written by ''Series/TheTwilightZone'' and ''[[Film/TheWolfMan1941 Wolf Man]]'' legend Curt Siodmak, which is mostly remembered for special effects by the legendary StopMotion animator Creator/RayHarryhausen, used to destroy UsefulNotes/WashingtonDC in a spectacular fashion unmatched until ''Film/IndependenceDay''.
!!This film contains examples of:
* AlwaysChaoticEvil: Averted. The aliens have come to conquer Earth, but would prefer to negotiate terms rather than subdue our planet by force, which would mean governing a devastated world and its resentful population.
* AmericaSavesTheDay: The Flying Saucers concentrate their attack on the United States capital of Washington D.C., completely ignoring the other nations of the world.
-->"People of Earth, attention. This is a voice speaking to you from thousands of miles beyond your planet. Look to your sun for a warning."
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: Ya got flying saucers attacking Earth and lots of them!
* TheGreys: The aliens inside their Power Armour.
* PoorCommunicationKills: The aliens' extremely ''roundabout'' way of informing Dr. Marvin of their upcoming visit to the rocket base results in a massacre.
** The message was straightforward, they just made an error regarding the speed at which it was transmitted.
* PoweredArmor: The aliens use a version, mostly just to keep themselves alive, but they do have built in blasters.
* ScienceHero: The Drs. Marvin both qualify, though Russell gets most of the work done.
* StopMotion: Unusually, it's used for the flying saucers, not for the aliens themselves.
* StuffedIntoTheFridge: The aliens do this to General Hanley and the policeman as revenge for one of their number being killed. They'd been keeping the two imprisoned and brainwashed aboard their ship, and kill them and dump the bodies from a high altitude for Russell and Carol to find in the woods.