A 1956 BMovie directed by Fred Sears and written by ''Series/TheTwilightZone'' and ''[[Film/TheWolfMan1941 Wolf Man]]'' legend Curt Siodmak, which is mostly remembered for special effects by the legendary StopMotion animator Creator/RayHarryhausen, used to destroy UsefulNotes/WashingtonDC in a spectacular fashion unmatched until ''Film/IndependenceDay''.
!!This film contains examples of:
* AlwaysChaoticEvil: Averted. The aliens have come to conquer Earth, but would prefer to negotiate terms rather than subdue our planet by force, which would mean governing a devastated world and its resentful population.
* AmericaSavesTheDay: The Flying Saucers concentrate their attack on the United States capital of Washington D.C., completely ignoring the other nations of the world.
-->"People of Earth, attention. This is a voice speaking to you from thousands of miles beyond your planet. Look to your sun for a warning."
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: Ya got flying saucers attacking Earth and lots of them!
* TheGreys: The aliens inside their Power Armour.
* PoorCommunicationKills: The aliens' extremely ''roundabout'' way of informing Dr. Marvin of their upcoming visit to the rocket base results in a massacre.
** The message was straightforward, they just made an error regarding the speed at which it was transmitted.
* PoweredArmor: The aliens use a version, mostly just to keep themselves alive, but they do have built in blasters.
* ScienceHero: The Drs. Marvin both qualify, though Russell gets most of the work done.
* StopMotion: Unusually, it's used for the flying saucers, not for the aliens themselves.