A RoadTrip comedy written by Creator/JohnHughes and directed by PeterFaiman.
A working-class stiff named Dutch (Ed O'Neill) is asked by a divorcee, Natalie, his new girlfriend (JoBethWilliams) to pick up her troubled son Doyle (EthanEmbry, then known as Ethan Randall, his birth name) from a special school and take him home for Thanksgiving. Upon arriving at his prep school, Dutch quickly finds that Doyle is ''not'' a nice kid and has unwavering faith (or perhaps it's just stubbornness) that his father will show up, but sticks it out for his girlfriend's sake. HilarityEnsues.
* AccidentalMisnaming: Dutch continually misnames Doyle; Doyle stops correcting him after a bit.
* AccidentalPervert: Doyle falls asleep on Brock's boobs.
* BlackComedy: [[spoiler:The ending]].
* GoodOldFisticuffs: Dutch decides to pit his self-described "good old All-American street fighting" against Doyle's "high brown belt." Doyle gets the better of a couple encounters because Dutch doesn't take him seriously enough. Later Dutch shows him how to form a proper fist when punching.
* GilliganCut: Doyle insists that he's not going anywhere with Dutch... cut to his being hauled out of the school tied up and gagged with a pair of underwear in his mouth.
* HookerWithAHeartOfGold: Two of 'em, who pick up Dutch and Doyle when they try hitchhiking. [[spoiler: Subverted when they take advantage of Doyle's [[DistractedByTheSexy young, inquisitive nature]] to rob Dutch while he's sleeping, revealing their nature as a couple of hustlers. Dutch sees right through their act and tells Doyle one morning at breakfast... just before they drive off with his wallet.]]
* HeroicBSOD: Doyle, when he finds that [[spoiler: not only is his Dad ''not'' in London as he claimed for his reason for not spending the holiday with Doyle, but he's sleeping with another woman]].
* JerkAss: Lots of people, but special mention goes to those rent-a-cops at the truck depot. [[spoiler: Doyle and Dutch get out of there by pretending to be a schizophrenic killer and his friend.]]
* MegatonPunch: After [[spoiler: the incident with the semi]], Doyle picks a fight with Dutch, but with Kung Fu style. Dutch tries to show Doyle how to fight all-American with closed fist and loose stance... he catches on pretty quick. Ow!
** The first event that shows this in Doyle is his interest in Dutch's fireworks, which he has to work hard to conceal.
** Also, Dutch talks a lot of game about not caring about Doyle, but when [[spoiler: Dutch believes Doyle's been killed in a semi-trailer crash]], he shows a lot of concern. Of course then it's revealed that [[spoiler: [[JerkAss Doyle was pranking Dutch]], getting him back for abandoning him on the side of the road a bit before.]]
* SpoiledBrat: Subverted. Doyle at first appears to be spoiled, but he's actually neglected by his father without realizing it.