''Don't Cry, It's Only Thunder'' is a film made in 1982, taking place in TheVietnamWar. It centers upon a young, and somewhat unscrupulous medic, named Brian Anderson, who makes extra money on the side dealing drugs. His life is forever changed when he meets an Army doctor who persuades him to help her save a group of war orphans. First, she appeals to his sense of guilt; then she blackmails him into assisting. The children are cared for by a few Vietnamese nuns. The doctor and the medic bring them badly needed food and supplies. To do this, they must face enemy bombs and the resistance of the US government. It is loosely BasedOnATrueStory.
!!''Don't Cry, It's Only Thunder'' contains examples of:
* [[spoiler: BittersweetEnding]]: In the end,[[spoiler: Anderson adopts the broken girl, but when finalizing her adoption, she's caught in a Viet Cong trap, her last words are to tell Anderson "I love you."]]
* BrokenBird: One of the orphans is very broken.
* ThePromise: Anderson's promise to his friend is the impetus for the story.
* RapeAsBackstory: The reason for the broken cutie.
* SlidingScaleOfIdealismVersusCynicism: Anderson starts out very cynical, and self serving, but starts to care for the orphans.
* TheVietnamWar: The setting for the movie.