->''"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."''
''Diva'' is a 1981 film directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix, based on a novel by Delacorta.
The film's hero, Jules, is a postman. He is a fan of American opera diva Cynthia Hawkins, who has never allowed herself to be recorded. He sneaks a recorder into one of her performances and makes a high-quality bootleg tape, which becomes one of the two [[MacGuffin MacGuffins]] driving the plot as Taiwanese gangsters try to buy it for the purposes of releasing an unauthorized record. The other MacGuffin is a cassette tape of a confession by a soon-to-be-dead prostitute in which [[spoiler: she implicates Saporta, a high-ranking police official, in an organized crime ring.]] Two different gangs are after him as they confuse one tape for the other. Meanwhile, Jules becomes friends with Gorodish, a middle-aged, bohemian man of mystery, and Alba, his companion. A memorable chase scene takes place in the Paris Metro. Jules meets Cynthia Hawkins, the object of his [[LoonyFan Loony Fandom]] and, after she gets over her initial shock and anger, she becomes attracted to him and romance ensues.
!!This film provides examples of:
* BaldOfEvil: Le Curé
* CatchPhrase: "Je n'aime pas ... " ("I don't like ..."), Le Curé. Lampshaded when Zatopek says, "You don't like anything."
* ChaseScene: MobstacleCourse turns into a TrainEscape on the Paris Metro in what is probably the most memorable movie chase since The French Connection.
* TheChessmaster: Gorodish is one of these as he plays the two gangs off against each other. Subverted because Gorodish is on the side of the hero.
* CoolCar: Gorodish's Citroën Traction Avant 11. [[spoiler:Times two.]]
* CoolHouse: Gorodish's "country house" on the coast is a lighthouse.
** His city house is a vast warehouse space - Alba rollerskates through it while he kicks back in a tub out in the middle of the floor, smoking a cigar.
** Jules' place is in a dumpy industrial space, with a cool automotive mural and all the money invested in high-end stereo equipment.
* DirtyCop: [[spoiler:Saporta.]]
* DisposableSexWorker: the prostitute who drops the cassette tape in Jules's mailbag.
* FallingInLoveMontage: Jules and Cynthia, takes place in a single night rather than over a series of dates.
* ImDyingPleaseTakeMyMacGuffin: the prostitute's tape.
* InstantSedation: Gorodish knocks out Le Curé with some sort of gas from a spray can.
* LoonyFan: Jules is one of these. He [[spoiler:not only steals Cynthia Hawkins's dress, but has a prostitute wear it while he has sex with her]]. Talk about creepy.
* MacGuffin: Times two.
* ManicPixieDreamGirl: Played with a little bit. Alba is a chronic shoplifter. Jules first becomes attracted to her when he sees her steal from a record shop. After they start dating, she gives Jules a shoplifted Rolex.
* PoliceAreUseless: They achieve very little themselves. [[spoiler:And DaChief is corrupt.]]
* SmokingIsCool: Most of the major characters smoke. Gorodish in particular, arguably the "coolest" character, smokes like a chimney.
* StalkingIsLove: Cynthia Hawkins's eventual attraction to LoonyFan Jules.
* ThoseTwoBadGuys: Le Curé and L'Antillais.