''Devil Doll'' is a 1964 British film about hypnotist-cum-ventriloquist "The Great Vorelli" (Bryant Halliday) in his struggle to prove to the people who laughed at him long ago that yes, he ''can'' transfer a mind into the body of a wooden vent figure. At one show, by what seems to be pure serendipity, the '[[DesignatedHero good guy]]' Mark English (William Sylvester, before ''TwoThousandOneASpaceOdyssey'') ropes his girlfriend Marianne (Yvonne Romain) into volunteering for Vorelli's act. English's obsessive skepticism results in acquisition of expert testimony and even an impromptu, depressing trip to Germany. Along the way, minds are controlled, people are menaced with knives, and [[ArsonMurderAndJaywalking dummies are insulted]]. Somehow, Vorelli's dummy turns the tables at the close of the movie, and everything ends.
For the ''MysteryScienceTheater3000'' version, please go to the [[Recap/MysteryScienceTheater3000S08E18DevilDoll episode recap page]].
For the love of god, do ''not'' confuse this movie with ''Black Devil Doll From Hell.'' [[NotSafeForWork You will thank us later.]]
!!''Devil Doll'' provides examples of:
* AbhorrentAdmirer: Vorelli on Marianne.
* AndIMustScream: ''And HOW.''
* BeardOfEvil: ...which has to be ''glued on.''
* DemonicDummy: Hugo. However, [[spoiler:it's a subversion - Hugo's a pawn, controlled by Vorelli's magic, and when he gets the chance to break out, he takes his revenge with vigor]].
* GlassOfChianti: Vorelli drinks ''Sangue Di La Vergine'' - ''[[WhatDoYouMeanItsNotSymbolic "Blood of the Virgin"]]''
* GoldDigger: Vorelli's plan is to [[spoiler:stage Marianne's death once he's tired of her, leaving him with her estate and Hugo with an "ugly wooden companion".]]
* HoistByHisOwnPetard: [[spoiler: Vorelli's KarmicTransformation at the film's TwistEnding.]]
* JerkAss: Vorelli. His ''stage act'' at one point involves hypnotizing a guy into visualizing himself being shot in the head. [[spoiler:And in the good old days, he used to hypnotize the human Hugo to not bleed when he was stabbed. Most of the time, it worked.]]
** He also forces a woman in the audience to do a striptease.
* LargeHam: He ''loves'' it!
--> '''Hugo:''' [[LampshadeHanging You cannibal!]]
* MagiciansAreWizards: Or ventriloquists are really soul-stealing hypnotists, anyway.
* MaleGaze: The introduction of Grace, the [[LovelyAssistant Replacement Lovely Assistant]].
* MindRape: Literally.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: English.
* NonIndicativeTitle: Hugo is just a victim in the whole thing.
* ObviouslyEvil: I mean, ''come on''. For instance, during the flashback to Vorelli and Hugo's StartOfDarkness:
-->'''Vorelli:''' (To Human!Hugo) This time, Hugo... you're going to ''die!''
* PowerPerversionPotential: And Vorelli knows it.
* [[HeKnowsTooMuch She Knows Too Much]]: about Vorelli's sordid past, so Magda [[MurderIsTheBestSolution has to go.]]
* SpannerInTheWorks: Grace, Vorelli's replacement assistant; [[spoiler:she interrupts him in the last scene before he can tighten the RestrainingBolt on Hugo -- and after he opens the door to Hugo's cage, allowing the puppet to destroy the plans of the Great Vorelli.]]
* UselessProtagonist: Besides the "endangering his girlfriend" part, did English affect the plot ''in any way?''
** Essentially, English in no way facilitates the resolution of all that's made wrong...not even his urgent trip to Berlin, nor the consultations with the experts. [[spoiler: Because of this, it makes Hugo TheHero.]]
* WhosLaughingNow: Two for the price of one!
* WimpFight: Vorelli gets his ass kicked by a ''puppet!''