''Deck the Halls'' is a 2006 Christmas comedy film directed by John Whitesell and starring Matthew Broderick and Danny Devito
Creator/MatthewBroderick stars as Dr. Steve Finch, an eye doctor with a wife, Kelly (Creator/KristinDavis) and two children, a teenaged daughter named Madison (Alia Shawcat), and a preteen son named Carter (Dylan Blue). Steve is adamant about his Christmas traditions, even to the point of it doing more harm than good for his family and everybody else involved. His Christmas tradition plans start spiraling down the tubes when his new neighbor, Buddy Hall (Creator/DannyDeVito) along with his wife, Tia (Film/KristinChenoweth) and two twin daughters Emily (Kelly Aldridge) and Ashley (Sabrina Aldridge) move in to the only home just across the street. Buddy's daughters have discovered and show him that you can view houses from space with a place called "My Earth" which is very much like "Google Earth." He is upset, though, that for some reason, their house doesn't appear, even though the Finches house does. It could be that their house has not been there very long and there never was a new satellite picture update taken of that place since. So, contrary to ones who would prefer privacy and that their homes remain unable to be captured by satellite, Buddy gets this obsession about wanting to get their house visible from space. So, Buddy gets this crazy idea that to get their house visible from space, he would have to garnish their home with Christmas lights. From that point on, because of how the bright lights and his whole showy Christmas display he goes as far as gets to Steve and even worse disrupt his intended Christmas traditions, things go for the worse between Buddy and Steve even to the point of practically wrecking their relationship as new neighbors. And much to their annoyed wives the only question is will they ever be able to patch that up?
!!''Deck the Halls'' provides examples of the following tropes:
* BerserkButton: When Steve putting up with Buddy's lights and music just across the street during sleep hours gets to the point where he finally goes downtown in the middle of the night to purchase illegal fireworks so he could set them off at Buddy's house hoping to scare him witless. [[spoiler: Later on, as he manages to end up destroying his own home with the last of the fireworks after managing to set some off at Buddy's house as planned, we discovers that it turns out that Buddy was not even home when all of that happened, because Tia had walked out on him that night over being aggravated at him primarily for pawning a valuable heirloom of hers to pay off his lights and show, and Buddy spent all night at where she went trying to get her attention.]]
** Steve Finch.
** Buddy Hall is under Steve's revengeful tactics.
* TheCameo: Jackie Burroughs, who played Hetty King in the Avonlea series, briefly appears in the beginning and several other scenes as Mrs. Ryor.
* CurseCutShort: In front of a bunch of people, Buddy announces that even as bright as he has already made his house, that he is nowhere near done. Steve responds with "Oh really!? Jesus!" Then with the whole town looking at him like he is a straight man of integrity who just cursed and with him getting that feeling, he instantly covers it up with saying "Christ the Lord is born this Christmas morning." Making it look like he was singing it as a compliment. This could also be considered as GettingCrapPastTheRadar.
* KarmaHoudini: Played with; Steve and Buddy both eventually come back to their senses and make everything up to their families, but both now have extensive criminal records on their hands with both having disrupted the neighborhood, caused massive amounts of property damage, and on Buddy's end has committed acts of theft and forgery just to sabotage Steve. ''Both are let off scot-free''.
* FridgeHorror: A very literal example, as Buddy claims he dropped a fridge upon a cat while moving in; on the upside '''most of it''' got away.
* MsFanservice: Buddy's twin daughters definitely count as such; lampshaded by Steve's son.
* OverthetopChristmasDecorations: Buddy Hall's goal is to have his Christmas light display seen from ''space''.
* WilhelmScream: Overheard when Buddy's house of lights is finally visible from space, overloading the display screens of the watching TV news crew.