'''''Death at a Funeral''''' is a 2007 British BlackComedy film directed by FrankOz.
A family tries to give an appropriate funeral for its late patriarch. [[HilarityEnsues Cue epic sibling rivalry, accidental acid tripping, dwarf secret gay lovers, nudity, blackmail and caskets being knocked over.]]
In what must be something of a record for an English language movie, an American [[TheRemake remake]] starring Creator/ChrisRock, [[ThirtyRock Tracy Morgan]], ZoeSaldana, Creator/JamesMarsden and [[LethalWeapon Danny]] [[TwentyTwelve Glover]] was released just three years later in 2010, which kept the overall tone of a black comedy... [[ThatCameOutWrong but not in that way!]]
!!The original film contains examples of:
* BirthDeathJuxtaposition: [[spoiler: It's no coincidence that Martha ends up announcing her pregnancy during the funeral.]]
* BoundAndGagged: Daniel and Robert tie Peter up when he threatens to tell everyone about his affair with their father.
* BuryYourGays: Played with, then averted.
* ButtMonkey: Daniel, especially when compared to his brother Robert.
* CrammingTheCoffin: the deceased's diminutive gay lover gets knocked out after his attempts to blackmail the two sons goes wrong, and the sons, thinking that they'd accidentally killed him, hide him in their father's coffin. Naturally, he wakes up at the worst possible time.
* MushroomSamba: Leads to naked roof climbing. Twice.
* NakedPeopleAreFunny: Simon climbing the roof naked. [[spoiler: Uncle Alfie sitting naked on the roof at the end of the film.]] Even the poster is an example of this trope!
* [[spoiler:NeverTrustATitle: No one actually dies at the funeral.]]
* NobodyOver50IsGay: Averted.
* NotQuiteDead: [[spoiler:Peter]]
* ScrewPolitenessImASenior: [[GrumpyOldMan Uncle Alfie]] curses, hits family members with his cane, orders people around, and bluntly says what's on his mind simply because he's old.
* SiblingRivalry: Between Daniel, TheUnfavorite of nearly everyone in the family, and Robert, whom everyone loves because of his successful writing career.
* StalkerWithACrush: Justin is this towards Martha, so much so he's a borderline male AbhorrentAdmirer. Justin constantly follows Martha around and hits on her no matter how many times she tells him she's in love with Simon. [[spoiler: Justin immediately loses interest after finding out Martha is pregnant.]]
* StraightMan: Daniel, very much so.
!!The American remake contains examples of:
* AdaptationalAttractiveness: Most of the people in the original are mostly fairly normal looking or somewhat attractive. The American film includes the likes of ZoeSaldana and Creator/JamesMarsden.
* AmazingFreakingGrace: James Marsden bursts into song while tripping.
* AscendedExtra: The lead character's wife (Keeley Hawes in the original and Regina Hall in the remake) gets a somewhat bigger role and a subplot about trying to get pregnant.
* ForeignRemake: Made... three years after the first one's theatrical release in America.
** RemakeCameo: A variation. Peter Dinklage actually played in the same role in both films.
* RaceLift: The entire cast with the exception of Frank/Peter (Peter Dinklage played the same part in both films), Simon/Oscar and Justin/Derek.
** Which allowed for this bit of dialogue:
--> '''Aaron''': Our father was having gay sex with a guy who could fit in his pocket... and you're mad 'cause he's ''white?''
** The original contained a similar line, but the sticking point was that he was ''American,'' not white.
* SheIsAllGrownUp: Ryan says this when he sees that a family friend has grown from a girl to a voluptuous young woman.