'''''Death at a Funeral''''' is a 2007 British BlackComedy film directed by FrankOz.
A family tries to give an appropriate funeral for its late patriarch. [[HilarityEnsues Cue epic sibling rivalry, accidental acid tripping, dwarf secret gay lovers, nudity, blackmail and caskets being knocked over.]]
In what must be something of a record for an English language movie, an American [[TheRemake remake]] starring Creator/ChrisRock, [[ThirtyRock Tracy Morgan]], ZoeSaldana, Creator/JamesMarsden and [[LethalWeapon Danny]] [[TwentyTwelve Glover]] was released just three years later in 2010, which kept the overall tone of a black comedy... [[ThatCameOutWrong but not in that way!]]
!!The original film contains examples of:
* BirthDeathJuxtaposition: [[spoiler: It's no coincidence that Martha ends up announcing her pregnancy during the funeral.]]
* BoundAndGagged: Daniel and Robert tie Peter up when he threatens to tell everyone about his affair with their father.
* BuryYourGays: Played with, then averted.
* ButtMonkey: Daniel, especially when compared to his brother Robert.
* TheDanza: Creator/PeterDinklage as Peter.
* EnforcedMethodActing: According to Frank Oz's commentary, [[spoiler:all of the gay sex photographs used in the film are of actual gay pornography, to elicit a more realistic reaction.]]
* FakeBrit: Texan native Alan Tudyk (Simon) plays a ''very'' convincing English guy. UsefulNotes/NewJersey-born Creator/PeterDinklage keeps his accent, though.
* MushroomSamba: Leads to naked roof climbing. Twice.
* NakedPeopleAreFunny: Simon climbing the roof naked. [[spoiler: Uncle Alfie sitting naked on the roof at the end of the film.]] Even the poster is an example of this trope!
* [[spoiler:NeverTrustATitle: No one actually dies at the funeral.]]
* NobodyOver50IsGay: Averted.
* NotQuiteDead: [[spoiler:Peter]]
* RealLifeRelative: Matthew Macfayden (Daniel) and Keeley Hawes (Jane) are married in real life.
* ScrewPolitenessImASenior: [[GrumpyOldMan Uncle Alfie]] curses, hits family members with his cane, orders people around, and bluntly says what's on his mind simply because he's old.
* SiblingRivalry: Between Daniel, TheUnfavorite of nearly everyone in the family, and Robert, whom everyone loves because of his successful writing career.
* StalkerWithACrush: Justin is this towards Martha, so much so he's a borderline male AbhorrentAdmirer. Justin constantly follows Martha around and hits on her no matter how many times she tells him she's in love with Simon. [[spoiler: Justin immediately loses interest after finding out Martha is pregnant.]]
* StraightMan: Daniel, very much so.
!!The American remake contains examples of:
* ActorAllusion: "[[LethalWeapon I'm too old for this shit.]]"
* AdaptationalAttractiveness: Most of the people in the original are mostly fairly normal looking or somewhat attractive. The American film includes the likes of ZoeSaldana and Creator/JamesMarsden.
* AmazingFreakingGrace: James Marsden bursts into song while tripping.
* AscendedExtra: The lead character's wife (Keeley Hawes in the original and Regina Hall in the remake) gets a somewhat bigger role and a subplot about trying to get pregnant.
* ForeignRemake: Made... three years after the first one's theatrical release in America.
** RemakeCameo: A variation. Peter Dinklage actually played in the same role in both films.
* RaceLift: The entire cast with the exception of Frank/Peter (Peter Dinklage played the same part in both films), Simon/Oscar and Justin/Derek.
** Which allowed for this bit of dialogue:
--> '''Aaron''': Our father was having gay sex with a guy who could fit in his pocket... and you're mad 'cause he's ''white?''
** The original contained a similar line, but the sticking point was that he was ''American,'' not white.
* SheIsAllGrownUp: Ryan says this when he sees that a family friend has grown from a girl to a voluptuous young woman.