''Dead Heat'' is a 1988 BlackComedy film. It stars Treat Williams and ''[[SaturdayNightLive SNL]]'' comedian Joe Piscopo.
After a violent bank robbery showdown, detectives Roger (Williams) and Doug (Piscopo) discover at the morgue that the criminals corpses had previously been brought in on a separate shooting occasion. When they discover a chemical substance in both bodies, they investigate a corporation which produces the material. As they investigate, Doug finds a hidden room with a strange device, and a zombie comes out and fights both of them. The incident ends up getting Roger killed, but Doug is interested in the strange machine he saw and uses it on Roger.
Roger is successfully brought back to life, but they discover some bad news; He will only live for less than a day before his body falls apart. As they investigate the secret behind this machine, the undead Roger is able to withstand bullets, submerge in water without breathing, and take heavy amounts of damage, all while hoping to solve the case before it's too late.
!!Has the examples of:
* BetterToDieThanBeKilled: [=McNab would=] rather eat his gun than be arrested. [[spoiler: ''Subverted'' when the heroes decide to run ''him'' through the resurrection machine, [[DeaderThanDead twice]].]]
* BloodyHilarious: The notorious Chinese deli scene. Or the final fate of [[spoiler: McNab.]]
* BookDumb: Doug.
* ChekhovsGun: The decompression room.
* CowboyCop: Both Roger and Doug.
* CutHimselfShaving: Roger's answer to Randi when she asks him about his makeup.
* DaChief: Captain Mayberry.
* DeadWeight: The biker zombie that Doug and Roger fight against in the research facility.
* DragonInChief: [=McNab=].
* ElectrifiedBathtub: Roger kills one of the zombies sent after Randi by getting it into a hot tub and throwing a stereo after it.
* GoIntoTheLight: Roger was going into the light before he was resurrected.
** [[spoiler: Also implied in the ending.]]
* ImmuneToBullets: The zombies.
--> '''Doug:''' Remember the good old days when bullets ''killed'' people?
--> '''Roger:''' You're just jealous, that's all!
** PlayedForLaughs with a zombie-on-zombie ''Uzi fight'' late in the movie.
* ImpaledWithExtremePrejudice: Doug kills a zombie by driving a metal pole through it.
* IncongruouslyDressedZombie: The big ugly biker.
* ItsALongStory: Roger's answer when asked about his undeath.
* KillEmAll: [[spoiler: Unusually, by the end of the movie, every single major cast member has been killed.]]
* LockingMacGyverInTheStoreCupboard: Instead of killing Roger, [[spoiler:Dr. [=McNab=]]] locks him into an ambulance.
* MeaningfulName: Roger '''Mortis''' turns undead.
* PunBasedTitle: The title qualifies, once you remember that "heat" is also slang for "the police."
* PunchPunchPunchUhOh: Happens when Doug tries incapacitate one of the zombies with a GroinAttack.
* PunnyName: Roger Mortis (''rigor mortis'').
* RaisingTheSteaks: Thule resurrects a bunch of animals in his restaurant to attack Doug and Roger.
* ShootOutTheLock: Roger shoots his way into the cemetery.
* TwoFaced: Half of Roger's face ends burned in an explosion.
* UndeathlyPallor: The zombies. When Roger sees that he's paling, he buys some cosmetics to fix it.
* VanityLicensePlate: Dr. [=McNab=]'s BODY DOC.
* WhodunnitToMe: Roger needs to find out who killed him before he decomposes.
* YoureJustJealous: How Roger snarks about how, being undead, he's effectively ImmuneToBullets.