''Dead Friend'', also known by its original title as ''The Ghost'' (which is the literal translation of ''령'' or "Ryeong"), is a 2004 South Korean horror film. It was written and directed by Kim Tae-gyeong and was his debut feature. It stars Kim Ha-neul as Min Ji-won, Nam Sang-mi as Su-in, Bin (Jeon Hye-bin) as Eun-seo, and Shin Yi as Shin Mi-kyung. Both Kim Ha-neul and Nam Sang-mi previously starred together in ''Too Beautiful to Lie''.
The film centers around Ji-Won, a teenage girl suffering from amnesia, who is being haunted by strange and disturbing visions. Things take a turn for the worst when she discovers her high school friends are being killed off one-by-one by what seems to be a vengeful ghost. It is up to Ji-Won to try to recover her lost memories and find out why the ghost is killing off her friends before it comes looking for her next.
!!'''This film contains examples of:'''
* BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor: [[spoiler: Su-in, completely by accident, got what she wished for - She ''becomes'' Ji-won.]] Unfortunately for her, there were some [[GhostlyGoals nasty concequences.]]
* BreakTheHaughty: It was quite ''fun'' watching the victims' terror just before they were attacked, considering what haughty bitches they were in the past.
* CatapultNightmare: Practically every time Ji-Won wakes up.
* CompletelyDifferentTitle: The original title of the film is ''령'' (Ryeong), which literally translates to ''The Ghost''. However, the English version changes the title to ''Dead Friend'', which does have a connection to what happens in the film.
** EVERY SINGLE KID IN THIS MOVIE!
** The slow chant "Hide well...Your hair might show. Hide well...Your hair might show" was especially creepy.
* DarknessEqualsDeath: Every death happens on a dark night in a dark room. For an extra kicker, it's usually a stormy night too.
* EeriePaleSkinnedBrunette: Every character in the film. Possibly intentional? The four main girls were particularly creepy whenever they stood in a row and just ''stared'' someone down.
* GhostlyGoals: The ghost had unfinished business to attend to...but not before killing off most of the film's cast.
* IWishedYouWereDead: Eun-jung wishes a ghost would take her sister away. Guess what happens not five minutes later?
* KillTheCutie: [[spoiler: Poor Su-in]]
* OminousMusicBoxTune: The movie's theme song.
* PoliceAreUseless: While reporting a ghost ''is'' pretty ridiculous, it's hard not to shake your head when the police officers laugh in Ji-won's face and call her crazy when there are a bunch of random, unexplainable and ''downright impossible'' deaths happening around the city.
* TheReveal: The ending.
* VomitIndiscretionShot: The lovely close up of Eun-seo vomiting buckets and buckets of water.