->''"You're a dog! You're '''my''' dog!"''
->''"We've come to think of you as family, and that's what families do--they stick together."''
''Danny the Dog'' (also known as ''Unleashed'' in some markets) is a 2005 action movie written by Luc Besson (of ''Film/TheFifthElement'' fame) and directed by Louis Leterrier, starring JetLi, Bob Hoskins and MorganFreeman.
Danny is a trained assassin, working as an enforcer for his "Uncle Bart", a low-level gangster in Glasgow. He's kept like a dog, in a grate under the floor and wearing a metal collar, conditioned to fight and kill on Bart's orders. When he survives a hit that leaves the gang dead, he stumbles into a blind piano tuner, Sam, and his adopted daughter Victoria, who take him in and teach him to live like a human. But Bart isn't dead, and he wants Danny back.
!!Tropes used include:
* ABoyAndHisX: Inverted since the Boy is the Dog.
* AttackAnimal: Of the brainwashed SuperSoldier variety.
* AxCrazy: [[TheDragon Lefty,]] most notable in the final scenes when he's allowed to go after Danny, (but is told by Bart not to kill him.) He gleefully disregards Bart's orders and [[DualWielding opens fire]] with a [[SlasherSmile sadistic grin on his face the whole time.]] When he corners Danny in one of the unoccupied apartments, he beats on the door with his pistols, howling all the while.
* BadassAdorable: Danny, as he reclaims his humanity.
* BerserkButton: Danny's collar was meant to be one through mental conditioning when he was with Bart. However after being humanized, his other button is anyone that tries to harm Sam and Victoria.
* BlindBlackGuy: Sam.
* BloodSport: An underground fetish club/pit-fighting circuit run by Wyeth.
* CaliforniaDoubling: Glasgow doubled for London.
* CloseCallHaircut: In the fight with the machete wielding bald guy.
* CurbStompBattle: During Danny's first fight at the pit-fighting circuit, he goes up against the reigning champ who shows off his toughness by smashing a brick over his head before the fight. When the fight starts, Danny dodges the champ's first punch, punches the guy a few times in the throat, and walks away as the champ falls down dead from a crushed windpipe.
* DamnYouMuscleMemory / ReflexiveResponse: Initially, Danny doesn't let Sam or Victoria try to remove his collar out of fear he'll beat them to a pulp.
* DefusingTheTykeBomb: Sam and Victoria towards Danny.
* TheDeterminator: Bart, surprisingly.
* DysfunctionalFamily: Played straight when Danny is with Bart, completely and heartwarmingly subverted when Sam adopts him.
* EarnYourHappyEnding: Hell yeah.
* TheFagin: Bart has raised Danny from boyhood to be his attack dog.
* GoodOldFisticuffs: Unusual for a Jet Li film, Danny fights using pure, raw aggression rather than technical martial arts moves, which makes sense given his background. His toughest opponent at the pitfighting bar also uses Good Ole Fisticuffs. He simply grabs whatever's near at hand and swings it at Danny's head.
* HiddenDepths: Bart - you never seem to know when he's being truthful or simply trying to manipulate Danny. Whatever his motive, he has much more going on beneath the surface.
* IfYouKillHimYouWillBeJustLikeHim: Sam says this to Danny near the end.
* ImprovisedWeaponUser: The sailor-looking pitfighter Danny faces last at the pitfighting bar. He grabs whatever's nearby and smashes it over Danny's head. This is something of a twist, given that all the previous fighters had traditional martial arts styles.
* LightIsNotGood: A recurring theme throughout the movie - Bart dresses in expensive white suits and gets around in a white vehicle, and [[EliteMook the bald, machete-wielding thug at the end of the film]] is clad in a white robe.
%%* MadeOfIron: Bart.
* MagicalNegro: Although the target isn't white, Sam is still the one who "normalizes" Danny and teaches him about the proper way of living.
* AManIsNotAVirgin: Played with... after a successful day shopping Danny's talents, Bart offers to get Danny a prostitute. Subverted by Danny's response.
-->'''Bart''': I could get you a woman! You've never had a woman.
-->'''Danny''': I want a piano.
* MarketBasedTitle: ''Danny the Dog'' in France and Hong Kong, but ''Unleashed'' in the US, UK and Australia.
* NiceGirl: Victoria almost to the TastesLikeDiabetes levels. The second she sees Danny, despite the latter having NoSocialSkills, she gives him a friendly hi. Despite only seeing him for a few seconds she already has questions about him. When Sam tells her Danny likes music, she gives him her own keyboard for him to practice and even teaches him how to play a duet. Much of it pays off when Victoria is ultimately the one that removes the collar off a nervous Danny. [[BecauseYouWereNiceToMe Yet when she does, he never hurts her.]]
* NoOneCouldSurviveThat: Bart's car is T-boned by a semi and riddled with machine-gun fire; Danny is only conscious because he was shielded by Bart's body, but only one of his two head goons ultimately survive. Then later, Danny forces Lefty to badly crash another car and roll it with Bart in tow, and everyone survives that crash. THEN a body falls onto and crushes the roof in of yet another car with Bart in back and one of his goons driving, and Bart survives YET AGAIN. What is this guy made of?!
* NoSocialSkills: Danny was raised ''as'' an attack dog.
* PapaWolf: Despite his blindness, Sam will do what it takes to protect Victoria and Danny. Danny being a human dog himself also qualifies if anyone tries to hurt the two.
* RestrainingBolt: Danny's collar.
* ThouShaltNotKill: After having lived with Sam and Victoria, Danny decides he won't kill anymore...at least, until the lives of his new family are threatened.
* TrueCompanions: Sam, Victoria and Danny aren't related by blood, but they make a family.
* TykeBomb: Danny, raised from boyhood to be an attack dog.
* UnstoppableRage: Danny, with his collar off.
* ViolentGlaswegian: Bart, full stop. [[FatBastard He doesn't look the type,]] [[GroinAttack but he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty when he needs to.]]
* VillainsOutShopping: There are several scenes where Bart and his cohorts are simply chatting in the car, talking about what they would like to do with their lives and their (literal) dreams.
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: During the climax, Bart's henchman are swarming the complex. They're never seen after the confrontation between Danny and Bart.
* YouGotSpunk: Much of why Bart adopted Danny instead of killing him, was because he was impressed at how tough Danny was when he rushed his men after Bart killed his mother.
* YouKilledMyFather: Danny's mother was murdered by Bart.