-> For other works of the same name, [[CityOfAngels go here]].
''City of Angels'' is a 1998 film starring Creator/NicolasCage (far from his Nicolas Rage roots), Creator/MegRyan, and Sarah [=McLachlan=]'s music. It's actually a ForeignRemake of a classic German film, Creator/WimWenders' 1987 drama ''Film/WingsOfDesire''. Cage plays an angel who falls in love with Meg Ryan's character, a doctor, and chooses to fall from grace and become human.
If you want to watch the movie, reading the tropes that it contains will probably ruin it for you, so '''spoilers ahoy!'''
!!This film provides example of:
* AdultFear: The fear of being helpless to save your child, as depicted in the opening scene.
* CoolOldGuy: Nathaniel Messinger, [[spoiler: a former Angel who chose to become human.]]
* CosmicPlaything: Seth. He [[spoiler:chooses to "fall," i.e. become a mortal human, to be with the woman he loves.]] This is irreversible. Then [[spoiler:she promptly gets killed]].
* DefectorFromParadise: An angel falls in love with a human and chooses to "fall", become human, in order to be with her, leaving Heaven.
* DownerEnding: [[spoiler: After Maggie's death, Seth is forced to spend the rest of his mortal life alone. He's not being punished but boy does it feel that way to the audience.]]
* HollywoodAtheist: Averted. Maggie is an atheist until she receives proof that an angel is real.
* HumanityEnsues: Messinger [[spoiler:and eventually Seth]].
* HyperAwareness: Messinger, who can sense Angels. [[spoiler: It's because he used to ''be'' one.]]
* IdiotBall: [[spoiler:Maggie probably would have noticed that truck pull out in front of her bike if she'd ''kept her eyes on the road.'']]
* InfantImmortality: Averted within the first five minutes.
* INeverToldYouMyName: A variation. Seth calls Maggie by name and when asked points out that she's wearing a nametag. Later, she pulls off the name tag and it only shows her last name.
* LineOfSightName: Seth Plate?
* MoodLighting: The movie mostly takes place at sunrise, sunset, or in soft/dim light, which gives the movie a powerfully emotional feel. It's like a lighting version of SceneryPorn.
* NotUsingTheZWord: Other than in the title, the movie's angels are never referred to as such.
* OurAngelsAreDifferent: They walk around in black trenchcoats, look human, speak any language, can travel instantaneously, and can choose whether humans can see them. They have no sense of touch, taste or smell, cannot see color and do not feel fear. They also [[spoiler:can choose to become human by literally falling, suicide-style]].
* RomanticRunnerUp: Jordan, fairly obviously. [[spoiler:He vanishes from the movie completely once Seth finally hooks up with Maggie.]]
* SingleTear: Seth, [[spoiler:when he realizes Maggie has died.]]
* WhatIsThisThingYouCallLove: Angels cannot feel human emotions like fear and love.