[[caption-width-right:274:[[PreMortemOneLiner Have a nice day]].]]
A 1980s SlasherMovie involving malfunctioning killer robots chasing people through a mall..
Eight teenagers get locked inside a mall and think they're in for a night of debauchery. The mall ''also'' has a shiny new robot security system. The creator of the system says "[[TemptingFate nothing could go wrong]]". [[GoneHorriblyWrong Things go less than stellar]].
Thanks to a lightning strike on the mall's transformer, the computer running the security robots begins to malfunction, deciding all humans in the mall are intruders and in need of [[CrushKillDestroy removal with extreme prejudice]]. This leads to a running ChaseFight throughout the shopping center as the humans try to evade detection and destroy the robots.
A classic Creator/RogerCorman BMovie from TheEighties, which has gained a cult following due to its hokey plot, tongue-in-cheek dialogue and gruesome robot kill scenes. Also known as "Killbots," the film's original working title and what it was syndicated to television as.
!!Tropes seen in ''Chopping Mall'' include:
* AIIsACrapshoot: A lightning-induced power spike is all that it took for the security robots to go into full-on "KillAllHumans" mode.
* AttackOfTheKillerWhatever: Homicidal security 'bots.
* BaitAndSwitch: The very first on-screen kill of the film was some guy in a demo film that showcased the lethality (and thus utility) of the Protectors as security measures. It's not made apparent until the words "THE END" appear on-screen, about five minutes into the movie.
* TheCameo: Creator/PaulBartel and Mary Woronov appear briefly at the beginning of the film as their characters from ''Film/EatingRaoul''.
** DeathByCameo: Dick Miller shows up as Walter Paisley, a character he has played in multiple films. He’s the third one to die to the robots.
* ChekhovsGun: The road flare.
* CoversAlwaysLie: The robots do not have humanlike, scaly looking arms (instead they have stubby, robotic claws), and no-one's body parts get stuffed into a shopping bag.
* CrushKillDestroy: Apparently the security bots' default setting following a computer malfunction.
* DistractedByTheSexy: A customer ogles a group of girls in bikinis on an escalator, and falls over, crushing the boxes he was carrying.
* ElevatorFailure: How Protector 2 meets its end, thanks to the humans rigging it to blow.
* FauxAffablyEvil: While they're not technically evil, whenever a killbot, well, kills someone, it wishes its victim a nice day.
* FinalGirl: Partly subverted; Alison has to fight the last killbot alone, but it turns out her boyfriend was only stunned.
* FrickinLaserBeams: The Protectors' main weapon. They fire them from their visors.
* GenreSavvy: Having seen his fair share of horror movies, Ferdy counts as this. He definitely knows the stupidity of the LetsSplitUpGang trope when it comes to them, as shown when Alison suggests she and him split up to look for the computer mainframe:
-->'''Alison:''' Okay, you try over there, and I'll try over here.\\
'''Ferdy:''' No, I don't want to split up!\\
'''Alison:''' What can happen?\\
'''Ferdy:''' You want a list?
* HollywoodNerd: Ferdy.
* IronicEcho: "Hey! Have a nice day!"
* IKnowMortalKombat: when asked if he knows how to shoot a gun Ferdy says he's watched ''Film/DirtyHarry'' twenty-four times.
* KillerRobot: The Protector 101 series security robot.
* KlaatuBaradaNikto: spoken by Mike when he showed one of the killbots his security badge.
* LeeroyJenkins: [[spoiler:Greg gets a fatal case of this while running through the mall blindly, leaving his friends far behind.]]
* LightningCanDoAnything: Apparently, the mall being struck by lightning is all it takes to make the robots murderous.
* LockAndLoadMontage: The guys stocking up with weapons and ammo at the sporting goods store.
* LoweredMonsterDifficulty: The killbots quickly and efficiently dispose of most of the cast. But when Protector 1 has Alison at its mercy in a storage room...
* MadeOfExplodium: Sure, a hardware store holds a lot of volatile chemicals, but still the explosion that demolishes the final Protector was caused ''mostly'' by spilled paint and created an absurd fireball, to boot.
* MaleGaze: In the beginning of the scene where Leslie gets her head blown up, the opening shot gives us a slow close look at her butt, complete with green bunny panties.
* TheMall: The setting for the entire movie. Even the few exterior shots (so we can see the lightning strikes) are all of the mall.
* ManOnFire: Suzie dies when a killbot blows up the gas can she's carrying with incendiary results.
* MolotovCocktail: The girls try to use these on one robot, with poor results.
* NewPowersAsThePlotDemands: The robots suddenly develop FrickinLaserBeams with no real explanation why beforehand.
* OddlyOvertrainedSecurity: [[http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/ Mall Ninja]] subtype, robot version.
* OffscreenTeleportation: On more than one occasion, the killbots manage to sneak up behind humans, even in situations where their presence should have been noticed way in advance.
* PullThePlug: The two final teens, in desperation, go look for the computer room so they can destroy it and stop the Protectors, but the final Protector attacks them and they destroy it... and that's when the film ends, leaving in the air whether they went to finish off the job or not.
* PunBasedTitle: The film was originally titled "Killbots" (and was syndicated to television as such), but it had trouble finding an audience with this title. It was given it's current title for its re-release.
* SawStarWars27Times: When asked if he knows how to handle a gun, Ferdy assures that he does because he's seen ''Film/DirtyHarry'' 24 times.
* SocietyMarchesOn: Paul snarks to Mary that one of the robots on display has "an unpleasantly ethnic quality." The audience is expected to find this funny.
* TheStinger: [[spoiler: A robot [[BreakingTheFourthWall tells the audience]], "thank you, have a nice day".]]
* SuperPoweredRobotMeterMaid: The robots are supposed to be mall security guards. Who the hell decided they needed lasers powerful enough to explode peoples' heads?
* TerrifyingPetStoreRat: Snakes and spiders, literally in a pet store. They serve no real purpose, beyond forcing one girl to put up with terrifying things crawling on her without alerting the killer robots.
* ThereIsNoKillLikeOverkill: Whoever decided to employ robots with weaponry capable of [[YourHeadAsplode blowing up someone's head]] to guard a shopping mall apparently believed this.
* VasquezAlwaysDies: [[spoiler:Linda, the tough girl mechanic is killed by a random laser blast while Protector 3 is malfunctioning, while Alison, the more chaste and feminine one survives the night.]]
* VictoriasSecretCompartment: Alison stores the road flare that she uses to destroy the final robot between her breasts after nabbing it from a shelf.
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: [[spoiler:The film ends with the three security robots destroyed, but the malfunctioning computer that controlled them (and supposedly has control over other parts of the mall as well) is still operating. Although it can't send out any more robots to do its bidding, it can still cause trouble for any humans in the area]].
* YourHeadASplode: Leslie, the first girl to die in the movie, goes out this way courtesy of a killer robot's FrickinLaserBeams.