A 2010 film directed by Hideo Nakata, the same guy who made TheRing and Film/DarkWater.
Five teenagers meet online and become friends. However, several of them have mental problems... and mixing these people with each other is like mixing nitro and glycerine...
Most of the story takes place in a [[RuleOfSymbolism metaphorical]] cyberspace: Online chatrooms are represented by surreal physical room where the characters physically sit and talk with each other. When the chatrooms are seen from the outside, however, it is clear that they are regular text-based chatrooms (with some twodimensional graphical decorations), not a threedimensional cyberspace. The real-live versions of the characters are seen chatting on regular laptops and iPhones.
!!Has examples of:
* CompleteMonster: William.
* CorruptTheCutie: Basically what William and Eva do to Emily, she gets better though.
* DateMyAvatar: The female lead starts falling for the male lead, based only on how he has presented himself online. The reality is for darker then she is willing to see.
* DrivenToSuicide - several background characters watched by the main characters. Whether or not main characters will also end up like this is a major part of the plot.
* FiveManBand - the main characters
** [[VillainProtagonist The "Hero"]]: William.
** TheLancer: Eva.
** TheBigGuy: Mo.
** TheSmartGuy: Emily.
** TheChick: Jim.
* Foeyay / HoYay: Between William and Jim. They kiss after all.
* ForTheEvulz - seems to be a common motivation
* KillTheCutie: What William attempts to do to [[spoiler:Jim.]]
* RuleOfSymbolism: Most of the story takes place in locations that does neither literally exist nor are literally experienced by the characters: The audience is shown literal rooms as metaphorical representations of online chatrooms.
* StupidStatementDanceMix: One of the sequences in William's [[CrossesTheLineTwice black plague video]], with odd trance music playing while the [[ArtShift claymation]] people suffer from the black plague.
* VillainProtagonist: William.
* WhatYouAreInTheDark - speciffically, online where you are anonymous.