''Capote'' is a 2005 biographical film about Truman Capote, following the events during the writing of Capote's non-fiction book ''Literature/InColdBlood''. The movie was filmed mostly in [[CanadaEh Manitoba]], in the autumn of 2004, and was released on September 30, 2005, to coincide with what would have been Truman Capote's 81st birthday. Capote is portrayed by Creator/PhilipSeymourHoffman.
The plot of the film begins with the discovery of the dead bodies of the Clutter family in late 1959 by a family friend. While reading ''The New York Times'', Truman Capote is riveted by the story of the family and calls William Shawn, then the editor of ''Magazine/TheNewYorker'', to announce that he will personally document the tragedy.
!!Tropes associated with this work:
* CampGay: Truman Capote.
* CausticCritic: Capote was a prime example of this.
* DeadpanSnarker: And this.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: Perry may be a bastard but even he is disgusted by his fellow murderer, Dick.
* ForTheEvulz: Dick's apparent motivation.
* SociopathicHero: How Capote views Perry.
* ItsAllAboutMe: How Capote views the world.
* KubrickStare: Perry Smith does one of these.
* MononymousBiopicTitle: ''Capote''. There's already a ''Truman'' for Harry S. Truman.
* WoobieDestroyerOfWorlds: Perry, according to Truman, as well as his portrayal in the actual book. Whether he is this or just a DracoInLeatherPants is up to AlternativeCharacterInterpretation.
* YoungerThanTheyLook: Capote was 35 years old at the time of the Clutter murders, yet he appears to look like he could reasonably be in his 50s or 60s (the voice Hoffman uses seems to support that).