->"Excitement? Why, I got more arrows in the back of that coach than a porcupine has got stickers!"
A 1953 movie musical based on the famous gunslinger, ''Calamity Jane'' starred Doris Day as the title character and Howard Keel as Wild Bill Hickok. One of the film's songs, "Secret Love", became an Oscar-winning hit song for Day.
Calamity Jane comes to the town of Deadwood, South Dakota one day. She decides to revitalize the local saloon by bringing them Chicago star Adelaide Adams. Unfortunately, she instead brings them Adelaide's maid, Katie Brown, whom she found trying on her costumes. Katie becomes a hit with everyone, including Jane's secret love, Lt. Daniel Gilmartin. A rivalry for his affections with Katie ensues.
!!This film features examples of:
* AndImTheQueenOfSheba: The small-town theatre hall owner in Deadwood sarcastically says this when Calamity asks why he doesn't send for Adelaide Adams.
-->'''Calamity:''' Why don't you send for her?\\
'''Henry:''' ''Sure.'' Why don't I send for the Queen of Sheba?\\
'''Calamity:''' [[SarcasmBlind ...No good. They want Adelaide!]]
* BelligerentSexualTension: Jane and Bill have this.
* BetaCouple: Katie and Danny.
* DoesNotLikeMen: Jane has a song about this in the ScreenToStageAdaptation.
* DraggedIntoDrag: Francis Fryer appears on stage as "Frances", but not willingly.
-->'''Wild Bill Hickock:''' She ain't very good lookin'.
-->'''Calamity Jane:''' That ain't all she ain't.
* LadyLooksLikeADude: Due to her masculine appearance, Katie initially mistakes Jane for a man.
* LoveTriangle: Jane and Katie over Danny.
* SheCleansUpNicely: ''Everyone'' reacts this way to seeing Jane in a dress.
* TheSavageIndian: Jane brags about the many she has fought and killed.
* TomboyAndGirlyGirl: Jane and Katie.
* WeddingsForEveryone: Katie and Danny, along with Jane and Bill.