''C.H.U.D.'' (''[[ImAHumanitarian Cannibalistic]] [[WasOnceAMan Humanoid]] [[BeneathTheEarth Underground]] [[AttackOfTheKillerWhatever Dweller]]'') is a 1984 horror film about carnivorous mutants in the sewers of New York City. Street people begin to disappear and the police start to take notice. The eponymous creatures become bolder and come out to drag away more noticeable people, but the Nuclear Regulatory Commission covers up their existence until the last minute.
The movie spawned a sequel of questionable relation to the first.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AbsurdlySpaciousSewer: TruthInTelevision. New York is one of the few American cities that actually has these.
* BeneathTheEarth: It ''is'' a movie about mutants dragging people into the sewers.
* BodyHorror: The monsters are horribly mutated humans. One scene takes it further, with the chud's neck stretching to a giraffe-like length for no explained reason.
* CoversAlwaysLie: The poster for the sequel depicts three teenagers in a pick-up truck stealing a C.H.U.D. in its final stages of mutation. Three teens do steal a C.H.U.D. but not in a pick-up truck and the C.H.U.D.s looks human throughout the movie, not like the green creatures from the first film.
* CrazyHomelessPerson: Averted and played straight. Many sympathetic and intelligent street people are shown. However, the C.H.U.D.s [[WasOnceAMan were homeless people]] and we get to see a couple in mid-transformation.
* ChekhovsGun: Cooper has some swords on the wall, which come in handy for Laurie later.
* EveryCarIsAPinto: In the first film, the white truck at the end explodes when the tire hits an open manhole. In the sequel, Colonel Masters makes a pick-up truck explode by merely shooting it once with a small gun.
** Possible justified in the first film as the sewers were flooded with gas, the trucks frame hitting the metal frame of the manhole could have sparked it into exploding and engulfing the truck.
* EyeLightsOut: The C.H.U.D.s' eyes lose their radioactive glow when they die.
* GlowingEyesOfDoom: Perfect for looking creepy while crawling out of the sewer.
* ImAHumanitarian: The C.H.U.D.s seem to prey primarily on humans, even leaving the body of a dog dragged down with one of their victims uneaten.
* LongNeck: One of the monsters starts extending its neck, which makes it all more easy to decapitate it with a sword.
* TheMainCharactersDoEverything: Despite being a police captain and surrounded by street cops, Bosch asks for the keys for the truck parked over the manhole cover and then runs off to move the truck alone asking no backup or support to come with him.
* NoEnding: The characters mention that they will flood the sewers with gas to kill the C.H.U.D.s, but this is never seen and the ultimate fate of the C.H.U.D.s is never revealed.
* NoPlansNoPrototypeNoBackup: Cooper finds the pictures he took are missing, and grumbles that they were the only evidence he has. Any photographer would just make new copies from the negatives.
* NuclearNasty: The heroes can track the things with a Geiger counter.
* ShowerScene: Laurie has one.
* TheReveal: [[spoiler: C.H.U.D. does ''not'' stand for Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller. It stands for "Contamination Hazard Urban Disposal" and the agency coverup.]]
* WasOnceAMan: The C.H.U.D.s were originally homeless people who were mutated by radioactive waste left in the sewers.