''Buffalo '66'' is a 1998 indie movie starring Vincent Gallo, who also wrote and directed the movie, and Creator/ChristinaRicci. Billy Brown has just been released from prison and the first thing he plans to do is introduce his wife to his parents. The problem with that plan is he doesn't have a wife, so he kidnaps a ballerina named Layla (Ricci). After a brief struggle and a very awkward dinner, Layla decides to stay with him for a night of bowling and "spanning time". She soon learns that Billy plans on getting even with the football player who was indirectly responsible for his imprisonment. What follows is a dark comedy about depression, revenge, and finding love.
!! Contains examples of:
* AlliterativeName: Billy Brown.
* AllJustADream: [[spoiler: The climax in the strip club where Billy shoots and kills Scott Woods, then turns the gun on himself.]]
* ArsonMurderAndJaywalking: Billy's threat to Layla:
--> "I'm asking you to come there and make me look good. Alright? And if you make a fool out of me, I swear to God, I'll kill you right there. Boom! Right in front of Mommy and Daddy. And I'll tell you something else, you make me look bad... I will never ever talk to you again, ever. But if you do a good job, well, then you can be my best friend. My best friend that I've ever had. You hear me?"
* BiggerIsBetterInBed: In the beginning sequence, when Billy is desperately trying to find a bathroom, a man looks over from the stall beside him and reacts with awe at the size of Billy's member.
* BigScrewedUpFamily: The Browns.
* BlatantLies: Layla tells Billy's parents that he works for the CIA, and Billy told them he had a wife.
** Throughout the movie he also claims he could have plenty of girlfriends, drives luxury cars, and implies he knows martial arts. All lies as it is obvious he has a very low self-esteem and desperately tries to impress everyone he meets.
* BulletTime: A similar effect to ''Film/TheMatrix'', which it preceded. The violent climax is shown in a series of still images, which the camera pans around as if still hand-held.
* ButtMonkey: Billy's friend ''Goon''.
--> '''Goon''': What, you think I'm retarded?
--> '''Billy''': Yeah Goon, [[MathematiciansAnswer sometimes I really think you might be.]]
* TheCameo: Mickey Rourke as the bookie and Rosanna Arquette as an old crush.
* ClusterFBomb: Billy drops a lot of `im as evident by some of the dialogue shown here.
* DisproportionateRetribution: Billy went to prison to cover up a huge gambling debt. The gambling debt happened due to Scott Woods missing a field goal kick, resulting in the Bills losing the Super Bowl. Because of this, Billy decides to kill Woods.
* DrivenToSuicide: [[spoiler: Billy, but he gets better.]]
* DrivingStick: Billy comandeers Layla's vehicle, but needs her to drive it. With disdain, he says he doesn't drive "shifter cars" because he drives fancy cars like Cadillacs, which "shift themselves." Of course, Billy is a pathological liar.
* EarnYourHappyEnding: [[spoiler: The last shot is of Layla and Billy in each others' arms, smiling.]]
* ExtremelyShortTimespan: Aside from the occaisional FlashBack, the entire movie takes place within 24 hours.
* FuroScene: A rarity twofer. This movie has a Western example of this trope and it's between a man and a woman, yet it isn't sexualized.
* HatesBeingTouched: Billy hates being touched... even if it's by Creator/ChristinaRicci.
* HeManWomanHater: Billy claims that he could have had girlfriends in the past but [[BlatantLies chose not to]] since he believes all women are decietful. He warms up to Layla anyway.
* HilariouslyAbusiveChildhood: Billy's dad ignored him and his mother was too concerned with Buffalo Bills' games to ever pay attention to him (his date of birth is a particular sore spot to her). This is exemplified in the scene where it is revealed they only have ''one'', single picture of their son.
** To make it even worse, in said picture young Billy is crying because he had an allergic reaction.
** And it's just short of outright stated that Billy's dog was killed by his father.
* HumiliationConga: Even before the events of the movie, Billy had an abusive childhood, was teased at school, lost a lot of money to gamblers on a one-in-a-million field goal kick, and spent five years in prison. When he gets out, his parents aren't impressed by the fabricated life, and love his hot "wife" far more than they care for him.
* ImagineSpot: A bored Layla tap dancing in the bowling alley. Suddenly, she is literally in the spotlight while a Music/KingCrimson song plays in the background.
** Seems to actually happen (except for the spotlight and music), but Billy is unimpressed.
* JiggleShow: Not-so-subtly done with Layla's introduction; the camera [[MaleGaze Male Gazes]] its way over to her chest to follow Billy into the building.
* JustGotOutOfJail: Billy at the beginning of the movie.
* KickTheDog: Billy's dad didn't kick the dog, but it seems he actually killed it.
* LiteraryAgentHypothesis: According to WordOfGod, the events in the movie were not what "really" happened but is Billy's perception of his own actions. Considering his low self-esteem, it makes sense.
* MaleGaze: Billy's father hugs Layla when they meet and he shakes her back and forth in an obvious attempt to watch her breasts bounce around (she's still wearing her ballerina uniform).
* ManChild: Billy, very much so. He makes ridiculous lies to get people to like him, doesn't like physical affection, alternates between acting tough and trying to make friends, often within the same sentence.
* AManIsNotAVirgin: It is heavily implied that Billy is a virgin since he claims to have never had a girlfriend.
* AMatchMadeInStockholm: A possible explanation for Layla warming up to Billy, although he only kidnaps her for a few hours and obviously does not have a weapon. She chooses to stay after that.
* MeaningfulName: An in-universe example. It's likely that Billy's mother gave him that name due to her intense love of the Buffalo Bills.
--> '''Billy:''' You know why they call you Goon? Because you're retarded. And you're ugly. [[BreadEggsBreadedEggs You're an ugly retard.]] [[DepartmentOfRedundancyDepartment And they call you Goon because you're ugly and retarded.]] And you'll always be Goon... Goon, Goon, Goon. And that's what I'm gonna call you for the rest of your life, is Goon. Goon, Goon, Goon, Goon, okay? [[PrecisionFStrike So fuck you.]]
* NeverMyFault: Billy is on a vendetta against a player whose fumble lost him a bet, sending him to jail. The fact that its Billy's fault he gambled to begin with doesn't occur to him.
* UsefulNotes/NewYorkState: Takes place in Buffalo.
* NiceShoes: Layla wears a pair of silver sparkling tap shoes throughout the film that wouldn't have looked out of place in ''Film/TheWizardOfOz''.
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: Billy plans to kill a football player named Scott Woods because he missed a goal kick during the SuperBowl, which resulted in him acquiring a huge gambling debt. This is in reference to former Buffalo Bills kicker, Scott Norwood, who missed the game-winning field goal in Super Bowl XXV against the New York Giants in 1991.
* NoNameGiven: The only other name ''Goon'' goes by is ''Rocky'', likely another nickname. We never learn his real name.
* PetTheDog: Billy will insult or threaten Layla or Goon one moment and then apologize and say something sweet the next. At one point, he buys Layla a heart-shaped cookie. He then turns to a random customer in the diner, asks if he has a girlfriend and when he confirms this, he buys one for her as well.
* PottyEmergency: When Billy is released from prison, he suddenly has to use the restroom. He tries to go back inside the prison to use the facilities but they don't let him back in. He spends the next 10 minutes or so trying to find a restroom, which is how he eventually meets Layla.
* ShrinkingViolet: We learn almost nothing about Layla's own background, family or home life. Judging by the way Creator/ChristinaRicci portrays her, Layla is both very compassionate and very lonely.
* TakingYouWithMe: [[spoiler: Billy's original plan for Wood.]]
* UglyGuyHotWife: Whether or not you find Vincent Gallo ugly, Billy is clearly a loser. Whether or not you find Creator/ChristinaRicci attractive, Layla is lusted after at least by Billy's father and wears a fetish-tastic dancing outfit.
* WellDoneSonGuy: Billy hates his parents but still wants their approval.