->'''''Increase The Peace'''''
''Boyz n the Hood'' is a 1991 crime / drama film, and John Singleton's directorial debut. It enjoyed widespread critical acclaim from critics and the public alike, and helped jump-start the "urban crime drama" genre. It also received two Academy Award nominations (for Best Director and Best Original Screenplay), making Singleton the youngest person (at 23 years old) and the first African-American to be nominated for the Best Director award. Often praised as the best 'hood film ever made.
Crenshaw, a neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles, is a place where drive-by shootings and unemployment are rampant. But it is also a place where harmony coexists with adversity, especially for three young men growing up there: Darren "Doughboy" Baker (Music/IceCube), an unambitious drug dealer; his half-brother Ricky (Morris Chestnut), a college-bound teenage father; and Ricky's best friend Tre (Cuba Gooding, Jr.), who aspires to a brighter future. In a world where a trip to the store can end in death, the friends have diverse reactions to their bleak surroundings. Tre's resolve is strengthened by a strong father (Laurence Fishburne) who does his best to keep him on the right track, but the lessons Tre learns are put to the test when tragedy strikes close to home, and violence seems like the only recourse.
!!This film provides examples of:
* TheNineties: One of the decade's defining movies, recognized as such by even the Library of Congress, and preserved in its National Film Registry.
* AwesomeMcCoolname: Tre's dad, Jason "Furious" Styles, played by Laurence Fishburne.
* BittersweetEnding: [[spoiler: Ricky and Doughboy are both murdered, but Tre and Brandi make it out of the 'hood and go on to college.]]
* BoomerangBigot: Officer Coffey is a black policeman who shows apathy and hostility to blacks.
* CatholicSchoolGirlsRule: Part of Tre's attraction to Brandi is that she's Catholic. Brandi herself subverts this trope, wanting to wait until marriage as her faith dictates. [[spoiler:She changes her mind and she and Tre have TheirFirstTime after he's harassed by Officer Coffey.]]
* CelebrityParadox: Doughboy notes some "bumping" music.... by Ice Cube.
* ColorCodedForYourConvenience: Though never directly stated, it is implied that Doughboy and his friends (who are frequently shown wearing blue clothing) are members of the Crips, while Ferris and his crew (who wear red clothes and drive a red car) are Bloods.
* CrapsackWorld: The ghetto.
* CreatorCameo: John Singleton plays the mailman.
* CurbStompBattle: PlayedForDrama.
* CycleOfRevenge: [[spoiler:Doughboy, Monster, and Dooky take revenge on Ferris and his cronies for murdering Doughboy's brother (Tre intends to take part at first but ends up bailing out beforehand). Weeks later, Doughboy is murdered in turn.]]
* DadTheVeteran: Furious served in Vietnam so he could avoid the criminal lifestyle and be someone Tre looks up to. The only time he mentions it is when he warns Tre about the army, but given his stern and disciplined nature (not to mention his unwillingness to shoot an intruder) shades of it do show through.
* DisappearedDad: Ricky and Doughboy have different fathers, yet neither is around. In fact, Furious is the only father in the neighbourhood. [[spoiler:And Ricky becomes one to his son after getting gunned down.]]
* DisproportionateRetribution: What did [[spoiler: Ricky]] do to become a target, and ultimately costing him his life? He simply was calling Ferris on [[EvilIsPetty being a dick for no real reason]] the night before.
* DudeMagnet: As children, Brandi got the attention of Ricky, Doughboy, and Tre.
** "Cool. I'm out of here." [[spoiler:Ricky.]]
** "I didn't do it man! I didn't pull the fuckin' trigger! What the fuck you doin? Oh, man! Well, fuck you! Fuck you!" [[spoiler:Ferris]].
* FormerlyFat: Not as drastic as some examples, but Doughboy used to be quite tubby (hence the nickname). After the TimeSkip, though, [[PrisonsAreGymnasiums he's stout]] [[StoutStrength and muscular.]] In fact, an early scene shows Music/IceCube lifting weights in his yard.
-->'''Furious''': Come with me, I want to show you something.\\
'''Tre''': Do we [Tre and Ricky] have a choice?\\
'''Furious''': (calmly takes off his reading glasses) No.
* HollywoodCalifornia: To be specific, Crenshaw.
* LovableJock: Ricky. He's extremely nice to virtually everybody. For someone who grew up deep in South Central Los Angeles, his disposition is sunny indeed.
* MaleGaze: The scene showing the now-teenaged Doughboy at the party is preceded by an extreme closeup of a woman's curvy buttocks in extremely tight pants.
* NWordPrivileges: Subverted. The black police officer Coffey uses the N-word freely... because he's a terrifying BoomerangBigot who hates other blacks. When he uses it, it's with genuine malcontent.
* OptOut: [[spoiler:Furious convinces Tre not to take part in the final fight against Ferris. This turns out to be the right choice.]]
* ParentalFavoritism: Not just strongly implied - Doughboy straight out says that their mother always loved Ricky best.
* PetTheDog: Early in the film some hoods steal Ricky's football. After trying and failing to get it back (getting Doughboy [[KickTheDog knocked down and kicked]]) they give up and walk away. One of the hoods sees how upset Ricky is, takes the ball from the guy who took it and throws it to Ricky.
* PoliceBrutality: Officer Coffey is a black policeman who shows racism towards other blacks because he thinks they're all criminals. When he and his partner question Tre and Ricky, Coffey shoves a gun in Tre's face to see him scared for his life and explains that he signed up specifically to rough up those he hates. Notably, his (white) partner is visibly shaken by this.
* PoliceAreUseless: When the police arrive for the robbery, they dismiss it as trivial because there was nothing taken and the robber escaped unharmed. Officer Coffey wishes Furious had killed the man.
* PrecisionFStrike: Furious drops one near the end when reasoning with Tre:
-->'''Furious''': ''Give me the motherfucking gun, Tre!''
* RevolversAreJustBetter: Furious Styles's .357 Magnum.
* SayMyName: [[spoiler:"'''''RICKYYYYY!!!'''''"]]
** The thief who tries to steal Dooky's necklace is wearing an Eazy-E shirt; Doughboy beats the would-be snatcher down. Quite possibly a reference to the fact Ice Cube and Eazy-E were on rather bad terms at the time of filming.
** The part where they go looking for the dead body is a reference to ''Film/StandByMe''. Even quoting the film ("You want to see a dead body?").
* SingleTargetSexuality: Both Brandi and Tre have only show attraction to each other throughout the movie.
** Brandi is attracted to the nice, smart Tre who isn't in any gang violence.
** Janice is attracted to Ricky, a LovableJock and NiceGuy.
* ThoseTwoGuys: Monster and Dooky have shades of this.
* TooDumbToLive: As they run away after narrowly avoiding a drive-by shooting, Ricky stops to take a leak and then after unwisely suggesting they split up, instead of keeping his wits about him, he casually strolls along doing another lottery scratchcard. [[spoiler:He soon gets spotted and killed by the drive-by shooters.]]
* TragicKeepsake: Implied. The football Ricky is seen with as a child was given to him by his father, who is implied to be dead.
* TheUnfavorite: Doughboy is this to his mother.
* VillainProtagonist: Doughboy isn't exactly one of God's best children, what with being a killer and a dope dealer... but to [[FreudianExcuse his defense]] [[AnAesop he didn't make the ghetto, the ghetto made Doughboy]].
* VillainsOutShopping: After [[spoiler:Ricky]] is murdered, Doughboy and his friends set out to find the killers, who are... eating and having casual conversation at a fast-food joint. Cue drive-by.
* WasItReallyWorthIt: The look on Doughboy's face as he [[spoiler: stands over the bodies of his brothers' assassins]] seems to ask this. What difference did it make? [[spoiler: Ricky is still gone]] and it didn't make everything right again. The pain didn't go away.
* WhamShot: When teenaged Chris pushes back from the table and we see he is in a wheelchair.
* XtremeKoolLetterz: Look at the title.