'''''Bloodsport''''' is a 1988 martial arts action film starring Creator/JeanClaudeVanDamme. The inspiration comes from martial artist Frank Dux, who [[BasedOnAGreatBigLie claims]] to have entered a secret and deadly martial arts tournament in the Philippines called the Kumite. Dux's story is widely suspected of being a hoax, as no part of it has ever been confirmed, and some claims are outright impossible.
Starting with his childhood he accidentally earns the (mild) respect of an Asian martial arts master, Senzo Tanaka, who uses him merely as a living practice dummy for his son. When the son dies in an accident, Dux convinces Tanaka to teach him his secrets. As an adult Dux grows into a very talented, precise and flexible warrior. Learning of the Kumite, he skips out on some military obligations to participate, bringing him into conflict with his superiors.
!!This film provides examples of:
* ActorAllusion: Bolo Yeung is readily identified as an opponent of BruceLee in ''EnterTheDragon'', here as the BigBad many of his lines come almost directly from that movie. [[ShoutOut "Impressive, but brick not hit back."]]
* ArtisticLicenseMartialArts: Screenwriter Frank Dux claims that the story is based on his own accomplishments, but the choreography is obviously not based on any fight that took place on planet Earth.
* BadassGrandpa: RealLife example; Bolo Yeung was in his 40s in this movie.
* BasedOnAGreatBigLie: The film is based on Dux's claims of winning the Kumite, but there is no evidence that Dux fought in a Kumite or that it ever existed in the first place. Many aspects of Dux's story have been debunked or shown to be outright impossible.
* BigNo: From Dux as Chong Li prepares to stomp Jackson.
* BrickBreak: Dux demonstrates the Dim Mak ("death touch") for the judges to prove Tanaka was his master by breaking the bottom brick in a vertical stack with an overhead strike.
* ChekhovsSkill: Frank learns specifically how to fight while blinded with Tanaka.
* CurbStompBattle: For an invitation-only tournament of the world's top fighters, most matches are surprisingly short. This is especially amusing when Chong Li breaks his previous record with a 14-second KO, only to have Dux come right along and do it in 12.
* DisproportionateRetribution: Chong Li, "You broke my record, now I break you!"
* FlungClothing: Dux starts out wearing a traditional gi top; It's damaged in an early fight and discarded in this manner.
* GoodCopBadCop: Good Cop - Helmer, Bad Cop - Rawlins
* GoodOldFisticuffs: Jackson's fighting style.
* HardWorkMontage: Of the below TrainingFromHell.
* HotScoop: Janice Kent.
-->'''Lin:''' That must make you Frank Ducks.
-->'''Frank Dux:''' No, it's ''Dux''.
-->'''Lin:''' Oh, right! Like "put up your dukes."
* KickTheDog: Chong Li delivers a few of these, most notably snapping the neck of an opponent who he'd already viciously [[CurbStompBattle curbstomped]].
* MartialArtsAndCrafts: The African jungle-style fighter uses knife hand chops to knock fruit from trees.
%% * MartialArtsHeadband: Worn by a few fighters.
%% * MightyGlacier: Pumola, the big ssireum-like wrestler.
* MightyWhitey: Yup.
* MrFanservice: Van Damme is topless for much of the movie, and then there's the hotel room scene...
* OldShame: Why yes, "Bumbling Government Agent #2" is Oscar-winner Creator/ForestWhitaker.
* OpenShirtTaunt: In a legendary example, Frank Dux baits Paco this way, during the climax of the semi finals of the Kumite. Begins with, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOlYZB6fEg "Come on! Come on!!"]]
* PecFlex: Chong Li does one to intimidate his opponent and mug for the crowd. This was actor Bolo Yeung's specialty.
* RedOniBlueOni: Dux does double duty as the blue half to both Jackson and Chong Li's red.
* ReplacementGoldfish: With some convincing on his part, Dux becomes one to Tanaka after Shingo's death.
* StoutStrength: Ray Jackson.
* TechnologyMarchesOn: Time was not kind to you, ''KarateChamp''.
-->'''Ray Jackson:''' That's why they call this thing Bloodsport, kid.
* TokenRomance: Janice could've been written out of the film entirely without any real impact, qualifying her fling with Dux as this, especially when you see just how serious she was about it; growing friendliness aside, she shows up on the arm of one of the high-roller audience members after Dux tells her off just so she can stay and continue covering the Kumite.
* TrainingFromHell: Dux suffers a few insane training moments including having his legs stretched out in the air while hanging on rope from the limbs.
* WalkingShirtlessScene: Dux. Between the fight scenes, training scenes and bedroom scenes it's easier to count how many times you see him with a shirt than without. On the villains' side, the most clothing Chong Li wears is a cooldown robe.
* YouNoTakeCandle: You can tell English likely isn't Chong Li's first language from some of his taunts:
-->'''Chong Li:''' Very good, but brick not hit back.