A film based on the second play in Neil Simon's "Eugene trilogy," ''Biloxi Blues'' is set during the later half of UsefulNotes/WorldWarII and follows the story of Eugene Jerome (MatthewBroderick) as he heads to the film's eponymous town for basic army training. There, he comes face-to-face with the kooky [[DrillSergeantNasty drill sergeant]] by the name of Merwin J. Toomey (ChristopherWalken), and tries to get along with other soldiers in his platoon.
!!This film contains examples of:
* DeadpanSnarker: It's a Neil Simon play, so pretty much everyone really.
* DrillSergeantNasty: Toomey
* FutureBadass: In the film's WhereAreTheyNowEpilogue, [[spoiler:Eugene states in the narration that Epstein became a lawyer whom the mob called "The most feared man in Manhattan."]]
* GallowsHumor: Toomey talks about the steel plate in his head.
* InformedJudaism: Jerome
* IWillPunishYourFriendForYourFailure: Toomey routinely punishes Wykowski whenever Eugene fucks up. Subverted in that Wykowski is not Eugene's friend, but the biggest, most ill-tempered soldier in the platoon.
* JustJokingJustification: Selridge pulls this after he tries to take back his money and Wykowski threatens him.
* AManIsNotAVirgin: Eugene makes losing his virginity one of the goals of his Army tenure.
* MistakenForGay: Epstein, when it turns out to be [[spoiler:Hennessey]] who's gay.
* PhysicalFitnessPunishment: The entire platoon is made to do two hundred pushups for some soldier's impertinent comment.
** Inverted in the end when [[spoiler:Toomey]] is forced by the other men to undergo the same punishment.
* PottyEmergency: Epstein is forced to do the two hundred pushups while having to pee the entire time.
* WhereAreTheyNowEpilogue: At the end of the film, Jerome gives a closing narration about what happened to him and the other members of his platoon.
* UsefulNotes/WorldWarII: The film is set during the latter half of the Second World War.