A film based on the second play in NeilSimon's "Eugene trilogy," ''Biloxi Blues'' is set during the later half of WorldWarII and follows the story of Eugene Jerome (MatthewBroderick) as he heads to the film's eponymous town for basic army training. There, he comes face-to-face with the kooky [[DrillSergeantNasty drill sergeant]] by the name of Merwin J. Toomey (ChristopherWalken), and tries to get along with other soldiers in his platoon.
!!This film contains examples of:
* DeadpanSnarker: It's a Neil Simon play, so pretty much everyone really.
* DrillSergeantNasty: Toomey
* FutureBadass: In the film's WhereAreTheyNowEpilogue, [[spoiler:Eugene states in the narration that Epstein became a lawyer whom the mob called "The most feared man in Manhattan."]]
* GallowsHumor: Toomey talks about the steel plate in his head.
* InformedJudaism: Jerome
* IWillPunishYourFriendForYourFailure: Toomey routinely punishes Wykowski whenever Eugene fucks up. Subverted in that Wykowski is not Eugene's friend, but the biggest, most ill-tempered soldier in the platoon.
* JustJokingJustification: Selridge pulls this after he tries to take back his money and Wykowski threatens him.
* AManIsNotAVirgin: Eugene makes losing his virginity one of the goals of his Army tenure.
* MistakenForGay: Epstein, when it turns out to be [[spoiler:Hennessey]] who's gay.
* PhysicalFitnessPunishment: The entire platoon is made to do two hundred pushups for some soldier's impertinent comment.
** Inverted in the end when [[spoiler:Toomey]] is forced by the other men to undergo the same punishment.
* PottyEmergency: Epstein is forced to do the two hundred pushups while having to pee the entire time.
* WhereAreTheyNowEpilogue: At the end of the film, Jerome gives a closing narration about what happened to him and the other members of his platoon.
* WorldWarII: The film is set during the latter half of the Second World War.