''Big Business'' is a 1929 short film starring Creator/LaurelAndHardy. Here, Stan and Ollie are going door-to-door, trying to sell Christmas trees in suburban Los Angeles. They bumble their way around until they wind up greatly irritating one particular homeowner (played by frequent L&H antagonist Jimmy Finlayson); Stan keeps getting his tree stuck in said homeowner's door, and they have to keep ringing the bell to get it out. When Stan rings the bell again and tries to get an advance order on a Christmas tree for next year, the homeowner snaps and wrecks their tree. Stan, in retaliation, vandalizes the homeowner's front door. The homeowner starts slicing up their clothes. This starts a rapidly escalating war of destruction in which Stan and Ollie set about wrecking the man's little bungalow while the homeowner dedicates himself to annihilating Stan and Ollie's trees and their Model T Ford.
''Big Business'' is one of Laurel and Hardy's best-remembered silent shorts. It has a place in the NationalFilmRegistry.
The film can be seen [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TRneBC98Gk here.]]
* AsideGlance: Ollie shoots one at the camera out of frustration, as he did many times in Laurel and Hardy films. In this one Stan does too, after incorrectly thinking that the homeowner is going to buy a tree.
* BadAss: Stan and Ollie are strong enough to rip down the homeowner's door, but the homeowner takes the cake-he completely demolishes their car without any difficulty, and even rips off the fuel tank!
* CaptainObvious: The homeowner grows increasingly enraged after Stan gets the tree stuck in his door something like four times. Finally he picks up the tree and throws it. From this Stan deduces, "I don't think he wants a tree."
* CrocodileTears: After the cop finally puts a stop to the orgy of destruction, Stan and Ollie burst into tears. This gets the homeowner and cop crying in sympathy. Stan and Ollie give the homeowner a cigar, and everyone parts as friends. However, Stan and Ollie burst into laughter when nobody's looking. The cop sees this and chases off after them. Then the cigar, which actually was a trick cigar, [[ExplosiveCigar explodes in the homeowner's face]]. The End.
* EscalatingWar: Played straight, and for hilarious effect. It starts with the homeowner chopping up Stan and Ollie's tree, followed by Stan slicing away at the homeowner's door with a knife. By the time they're done, Stan and Ollie have gutted the house and the homeowner has blown up Stan and Ollie's car.
* EveryCarIsAPinto: Well, if you ''drop a lit match into the gas tank'', then fine, maybe the car will blow up.
* PoliceAreUseless: A cop pulls up while Stan and Ollie are destroying the house and the homeowner is tearing Stan and Ollie's car apart. He watches, in apparent astonishment, without making the slightest effort to stop any of them... until Ollie accidentally [[AgonyOfTheFeet whacks his foot with a sledgehammer]].
* SpontaneousCrowdFormation: A large crowd quickly gathers to observe the conflict.
* TapOnTheHead: Ollie gets conked with a hammer after foolishly ignoring a "no solicitors" sign at one house.
* TitleDrop: "I've got a big business idea", says Stan, before attempting to get the homeowner to buy a tree for ''next'' Christmas.
* TrashTheSet: Laurel and Hardy wrecked a real Los Angeles house for this short. An [[UrbanLegends urban legend]] maintains that it was actually the wrong house, but this is most likely too good to be true.