->''A tsunami just flipped the foodchain.''
'''''Bait''''' is an Australian 3D [[ThreateningShark killer shark]] film released in 2012.
In the film, set in a sleepy beach community, shoppers at an underground supermarket are terrorized by a crazed bandit when a tsunami swallows the town. Now trapped, as rushing water threatens to entomb them, the survivors discover that the tsunami has brought an unwanted visitor from the depths.
Originally, a sequel in which a shark terrorizes a flooded school in Los Angeles was in development. In 2013 however, the film was reconceived as Deep Water in which a plane crashes in the ocean and its passengers must stay on or onboard to avoid being eaten by sharks.
!!This film includes the following tropes:
* AnArmAndALeg: Rory dies from loss of blood when a shark rips off his legs.
* AssholeVictim: [[spoiler:Kirby is the robber responsible for killing the women at the start, and tries to use another of the survivors as bait. Doyle attacks Kirby in turn and uses him as bait instead.]]
* BoomHeadshot: [[spoiler:The shark in the parking garage is killed by a shotgun blast to the head]].
* ContrivedCoincidence: How ''two'' twelve-foot hyper-aggressive Great White Sharks both ended up in the same flooded convenience store is anyone's guess.
* DisasterMovie: Mixed with a killer shark film.
* HalfTheManHeUsedToBe: Jessup is bit in half as he is hanging above the water.
* HeroicSacrifice: When an exposed power cord is threatening to almost electrocute everyone if it comes in contact with the water, [[spoiler:Steven]] sacrifices himself to shut off the power.
* HideousHangoverCure: Rory hands Josh a jar with roots and brown liquid (his grandma's special cure) to his hangover in the opening.
* InfantImmortality: Of the animal kind. The dog is alive after it seems at first that it was eaten by a shark.
* MaleGaze: Tina is introduced to the audience with her behind first.
* RecycledInSpace: It's ''Film/DeepBlueSea''... in a supermarket! In fact, this film bears a lot of similarities to a rejected script for a sequel to that movie, called ''Deep Red Sea''. In it, people in a beach town would be menaced by a cluster of sharks after it becomes partly submerged.
* SuperPersistentPredator: The sharks.
* ThreateningShark: The main nemesis. In fact, there are ''two'' of them, a plot point which isn't clear until two thirds of the way through.
* TragicKeepsake: Josh holds on to Rory's necklace after his death.