''Aliens in the Attic'' is a basic "kids save the planet from invasion" movie. The story follows the five Pearson children trying to stop four surprisingly outmatched aliens from taking over the planet. The mind control plugs that are to be the aliens' only weapons don't work on anyone under 18, so they have to defeat an alien invasion without involving their parents or the authorities.
!! This movie exhibits the following tropes:
* AdultsAreUseless: HandWaved to an annoying extent. They don't even bother trying to get adult help. Though it's justified, if adults helped out, they're liable to be turned by the mind control plug.
* AppliedPhlebotinum: The mind control plugs. Also, [[spoiler: the molecular expander machine that the aliens came here to get]]
* AttackOfThe50FootWhatever: [[spoiler: The alien's master plan is to dig up a device that makes them two stories tall.]]
* BelligerentSexualTension: Tazer and Razor.
* BillingDisplacement: [[HighSchoolMusical Ashley Tisdale]] is a supporting character at best, but she's treated as one of the mains.
* BrilliantButLazy: Tom.
* CaliforniaDoubling: Set in Michigan, but filmed in New Zealand.
* CantGetAwayWithNuthin: Only applies to Tom, who gets in trouble for everything everyone else does.
-->'''Mr. Pearson:''' (to the Sheriff) Look, the kids made a big mistake, and I assure you Tom will be punished.
* CassandraTruth: Hannah tells the adults about the aliens right away, but they don't believe her.
* CompetenceZone: The alien MindControlDevice only works on adults (with an arbitrary cut-off apparently around 18), so it's not even worth telling them anything.
* DefconFive: Averted
* EasilyThwartedAlienInvasion: Six kids and one turncoat is all it takes.
* GroinAttack: Ricky suffers [[RuleOfThree three]] of these, the last of which he was forced to inflict upon himself.
* IKnowMortalKombat: The kids manage to use a mind controlled adult against the invaders because the MindControl remotes work like game controllers.
* JerkAss: Ricky, even worse when considering [[spoiler: he's actually a college student trying to take advantage of a high schooler]].
* MindControlDevice: Pretty much the only weapon the aliens have. And it uses a video game controller!
* NotNowKiddo: The youngest girl does actually tell the parents, but they assume she's just playing. She also calls the police, which results in the sheriff showing up to berate them for making prank calls.
* ProtagonistCenteredMorality: It's okay for the main characters to completely humiliate the admittedly JerkAss boyfriend because hey, ''it's fine if the good guys do it.''
* PunyEarthlings: Inverted: The aliens are barely over a foot tall and only one shows above human intelligence. This doesn't stop them from referring to the humans as such, though.
** Played straight when Skip and Razer use the molecule expander.
* RuleOfCool: Nana versus Ricky: An eighty-year-old woman and the older sister's Jerkass boyfriend have a Matrix style battle while under the influence of mind control plugs. The pinnacle of this sequence: Nana - [=AKA=] [[Series/EverybodyLovesRaymond Raymond's Mom]] - beaning Ricky with an honest-to-God [[Franchise/StreetFighter Shoryuken]].
* SeparatedFromTheAdults: Enforced by the above mentioned mind control device's odd inability to affect children and teens.
* TokenGoodTeammate: Sparks.
* TooDumbToLive: The parents and sheriff. *monumental bizarre explosion in the sky* "Ooh, what a pretty meteor shower!"
* UnholyMatrimony: Tazer and Razor.