->''"Hello, everybody. This is Mrs. Norman Maine."''
-->-- '''Vicki Lester''', delivering the first two versions' classic last line
A story so memorable they filmed it thrice.
''A Star is Born'' was first made in 1937, co-written and directed by Creator/WilliamAWellman and staring Creator/FredricMarch and Janet Gaynor. The second time was in 1954, directed by Creator/GeorgeCukor and starring Creator/JudyGarland and Creator/JamesMason. The third time, it was in 1976, and Music/BarbraStreisand and Kris Kristofferson starred and Frank Pierson directed.
In all three versions, a young starlet named Esther Blodgett[[note]]Esther Hoffman in the 1976 film[[/note]] meets has-been star Norman Maine [[note]]John Norman Howard in the 1976 film[[/note]]. He helps her get a career in show business, under the name "Vicki Lester." Just as importantly, the two fall in love and get married. However, Norman's dependency on the bottle gets in the way of their marriage, leading to tragedy and despair.
A fourth film adaptation, directed by Creator/BradleyCooper (starring himself and Music/LadyGaga) is currently set for a 2018 release.
!!This work features examples of:
* UsefulNotes/AcademyAward: InUniverse: In the first two versions, Vicki wins an Oscar. This leads to a memorable drunken disruption by Norman:
-->"I want a statue for the Worst Performance of the year!"
* AwardBaitSong: The remakes had "The Man Who Got Away" and "Evergreen" nominated for the Best Song Oscar; the latter was the one that won.
* DrivenToSuicide: Norman strolls into the ocean.
* ForgottenTrope: The 1954 film had a specimen of the ballet sequence on film in the "Born in a trunk" sequence.
* IWantMyBelovedToBeHappy: Norman's implied main motivation for [[spoiler:his suicide]], after he overhears Esther/Vicki say that she is willing to give up her career to help him.
* MeaningfulEcho: "Do you mind if I take just one more look?"
* OfficeGolf: Norman plays Golf in his living room.
* PrettyInMink: Vicki wears an ermine wrap, worn like a dress, at the end of the first film.
* PublicDomain: The original film, as the copyright wan't renewed.
* RealNameAsAnAlias: Vicki and Norman get married under their real names to avoid public attention; they even fool the priest.
* SettingUpdate: The 1976 film, unlike the first two versions, specifically had Esther break-in to the music industry. A Grammy award replaces the Oscar.
* StageNames: In the 1937 film, the studio gets "Vicki" from Estherís middle name, Victoria, and "Lester" rhymes with Esther. How they got Norman Maine from Alfred Hinkle is never explained, though.
* SuicideBySea: Norman Maine kills himself by walking into the ocean after his career tanks and his depression worsens.
* TitleDrop: In the 1937 film, when Norman and Vicki sneak out of the theater after the preview of her first film.
* WhiteDwarfStarlet: Gender-flipped with Norman.