''A Christmas Carol'' is a 1938 film adaptation of [[Literature/AChristmasCarol the novel of the same name]]. Directed by Edwin L. Marin, it stars Reginald Owen as Ebenezer Scrooge.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AdaptationExpansion: The film includes several scenes of Fred and Bob Cratchit being Christmassy that are not in the book.
* AccidentalInnuendo: Multiple examples, from "I did a lot of snowballing as a boy" to "I'd like to stroke it" to Scrooge begging to stay "just until they finish" as a young couple begins petting in front of him.
* AdaptedOut: This is one of the few versions that completely removes Ebenezer's doomed romance with Belle, although the Ghost of Christmas Past does hint at it, saying that she had yet to show him the "black years" of his life.
* JacobMarleyApparel: The ghost of Jacob Marley is wearing the clothes he was buried in.
* OhCrap: Bob Cratchit's reaction when he discovers that he hit Scrooge with a snowball.
* RunningAwayToCry: Young Ebenezer is shown putting on a good face when he's the only one at his school apparently not going home for Christmas, but when the other boys leave, he's weeping a classroom.
* TheUnreveal: Scrooge extinguishes the Ghost of Christmas Past before she can show him [[StartOfDarkness "the black years of [his] life"]].