->''"The world has changed. It is in the water...it is in the air...it is in the earth. Much that had once been is lost, because those charged to keep hold of it, have not. The world was not always so tame."''
''[[http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/05/story-knights-of-equestria.html Knights of Equestria]]'' is a fanfic set in the ''WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic'' universe.
!!''Knights of Equestria'' contains the following tropes:
* AllOfTheOtherReindeer: Since [[BrainwashedAndCrazy Fluttershy]] and [[AxeCrazy Pinkie Pie]] were forced to leave Ponyville because of what Twilight did during the series and since she [[AGodAmI also went insane in her own right]], most of the ponies in town [[ZeroPercentApprovalRating treat her like a pariah.]]
** Her apprentice Sweetie Belle isn't fairing any better. It got to the point that Dusk Nox had to pry Dinky Doo off of her and violently suppress a lynch mob wanting to kill the poor filly because of her association with the local 'monster'.
* AnyoneCanDie: And how....so far, the author has killed off [[spoiler:Trixie, Ditzy Doo and Twilight Sparkle.]]
** Not that the last two [[spoiler:[[PlotArmor stayed dead.]]]]
* AxCrazy: Yellow Jacket becomes this when Trixie manages to take out one of his wings.
* BadassBookworm: Twilight Sparkle, duh.
* BigDamnHeroes: In the final chapter, it's only Rainbow Dash's sudden arrival that saves Rarity and the others from certain death. And then after that, it's only DITZY'S sudden intervention that saves DASH from certain death.
** In the last chapter of the follow-up, EVERYPONY steps up their game a notch.
* CameBackStrong: Spike, full stop. Before his disappearance, he was a TeamPet. Now, he's a BadassBookworm.
** Let's not forget that [[spoiler:Twilight and Ditzy came back as [[FusionDance the super-powerful Dusk Nox]].]]
* CombatPragmatist: When he's fighting Trixie, Yellow Jacket throws everything from lightning to broken pieces of a tree trunk at her. And when he realizes she's pretty nearly immortal he steals the one weapon that can kill her from ANOTHER immortal! In contrast, when he's beating Fluttershy up to within an inch of her life, ol' Jack relies on his own bare hooves for the job.
* TheCorrupter: Yellow Jacket manages to do this to Twilight directly, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy!
* DarkerAndEdgier: While not the darkest fic out there, this story is still incredibly dark, with characters getting stabbed, beaten, burnt, and otherwise emotionally traumatized.
* DeathIsCheap: kind of. Twilight can certainly shrug off most injuries without batting an eye, but her sister Trixie, and Yellow Jacket all bite the dust in the first story.
* DisabilitySuperpower: Ditzy is able to shrug off an otherwise unbreakable illusion spell because of her crossed eyes.
* EldritchAbomination: From the many stories to the first war against him, it's pretty clear this is what Tirek was.
* EndOfAnAge: Referenced strongly in the stories concerning the battle against Tirek in the past.
* EvilCannotComprehendGood: Yellow Jacket really doesn't take it well when Twilight abandons the evil plan out of love for her friends and fallen sister.
* FantasticRacism: Yellow Jacket, the antagonist of the story and a pegasus, really doesn't like unicorns and earth ponies...
* FirstLawOfResurrection: Twilight and Ditzy very much so. Also, perhaps Gilda. If the character appears in the series, he or she seems to have PlotArmor.
* FishOutOfTemporalWater: Spike the Dragon. What looked like his death was actually his being sent back in time to grow up so as to meet with the Knights after Ditzy's execution to help them pay The Master back.
* FusionDance: Dusk Nox is the official reincarnation of both Twilight Sparkle and Ditzy Doo. Just before [[BigDamnHeroes the big fight scene, they separate back into their]] original selves and [[ShutUpHannibal pretty much start the talking-Tirek-to-death]] ball rolling. Explaining [[AfterActionReport how they got joined together]] in the first place [[TooMuchInformation gives everyone else a headache.]]
* HeroicBSOD: Rainbow Dash didn't take Ditzy's (temporary) murder at all well and was fairly hacked off at the rest of the Knights for not having a loved one die.
* HeroicSacrifice: Twilight Sparkle blows herself to bits in order to buy her friends time to escape the Master's latest trap.
* ItsAllMyFault: This is what drives Twilight Sparkle to the extreme lengths she takes to "fix" things.
* JumpingOffTheSlipperySlope: Everyone, let's be honest, the pacing on Twilight Sparkle's fall to insanity in the first story is kinda fast.
* MoralityPet: Ditzy Doo to Twilight Sparkle; that's because the only [[RestrainingBolt thing keeping Twilight]] from [[AGodAmI mad with power is that]] Ditzy's memories and part of her soul have imprinted themselves on our hero. This [[ChekhovsGun becomes important later on]].
* RedRightHand: Dusk Nox and the Master both have heterochromia. Also, both seemingly want bad things for everypony.
* RestrainingBolt: The shard of Ditzy's soul that used to be stuck in Twilight's body was the only thing keeping her from going mad with power; after she sort of died, Twilight didn't [[HeroicBSOD take it much better than]] Rainbow Dash because the Ditzy-in-Twilight went catatonic.
* ReverseMole: Dusk Nox recently revealed that she was only working with the Master until new Bearers of the Elements emerged to take the place of those who fell. Now that they've started to appear, she's going to [[DefectorFromDecadence help the heroes kill him.]]
** Her first act was to plant Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie in Stalliongrad so they could keep an eye on him.
* SequelHook: The magical exoskeleton Twilight builds for Shining Armor is not only a ShoutOut to IronMan but a sort of allusion to the next story in the same universe.
* SetRightWhatOnceWentWrong: Every so often, a very bad situation becomes marginally better after a sort of time shift. After the clean-up from the final battle begins, Twilight thanks the Doctor for doing so but he hasn't a clue as to who did it either....yet.
* SharedUniverse: The sequel crosses over with another fanfic called [[Fanfic/ItsADangerousBusinessGoingOutYourDoor It's A Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door]]
* ShockAndAwe: Twilight's preferred method of fighting.
* ShoutOut: There's quite a few Series/DoctorWho references spread throughout both stories... [[JustifiedTrope which is a given]] since the Doctor is a character in both.
* ShutUpHannibal: In what [[WordOfGod the author admits]] is a tribute to ComicBook/BlackestNight, the ponies power up [[KamehameHadoken the Rainbow Of Light]] by telling [[BigBad Tirek to basically]] [[StaringDownCthulhu shut up about how meaningless]] life is.
* StableTimeLoop: Twilight and Ditzy explain that everything they did as Dusk Nox happened because they remember it happening when they were separate entities. This [[BreadEggsMilkSquick leaves the others sort of woozy despite most of them having admitted to]] being [[TheChessmaster part of Dusk Nox's plan.]]
* StrangeSyntaxSpeaker: Ditzy Doo; she did have her speech impediment under control through most of the first story but the side effect of her DivingSave was to more or less permanently scramble the Broca's area of her brain...as well as to leave a part of her soul in Twilight's body.
* TookALevelInBadass: Twilight Sparkle...dear lord, Twilight Sparkle. And Rainbow Dash too...actually, she might have taken several at once.
* TimeSkip: A little over a year passes between the original and its sequel.
* VitriolicBestBuds: Spike and Gilda, full stop.
* WellIntentionedExtremist: Yellow Jacket eventually proves to be one. Also what Twilight starts to become during the story.