It has been 34 years since the Cylon War. When suspected new activity is detected near the Armistice Line, Commander William Adama and the ''Valkyrie'' Battlestar Group are sent out to investigate. When they end up intervening in a battle between aliens and beleaguered humans, the galaxy is suddenly a much more different and dangerous place for the Colonies.
''[[http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=164250 Dust of the Stars]]'' ([[http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5874106/1/Dust_of_the_Stars Also available at FF.Net]]) is an AlternateUniverseFic crossover between ''Series/BattlestarGalactica2003'' and ''Series/StargateSG1'' written by Bryan(0711). It has been praised for its rich, well-developed depiction of Colonial and Goa'uld culture.
!!This fanfic contains examples of the following tropes:
* AliensSpeakingEnglish: Averted - initially the Colonials and the SG teams can't understand each other, except for Daniel because he's, well, [[CunningLinguist Daniel]]. A translator is eventually hammered out.
** After the initial Terran - Colonial language difficulties are played with, though, in typical [[Series/StargateSG1 SG1]] fashion the trope is played completely straight.
* DepletedPhlebotinumShells: [[ArmorPiercingAttack armor piercing]] explosive rounds, meant for killing Cylons, do nasty things to relatively poorly protected Jaffa.
* GrowingTheBeard: The first few chapters aren't very strong. It takes until the end of the fifth before the Stargate side appears.
* KineticWeaponsAreJustBetter: Played with. The Colonials abandoned weapons-grade lasers because they couldn't get the useful power to damage starships' metamaterials. They tried plasma, but couldn't get the magnetic bottling down. Goa'uld plasma weapons, though, are shown to be very effective because they "burn" rather than have a one-time effect like kinetics and explosives.
* NukeEm: Colonial willingness to throw nukes around initially appalls the SG teams, but most of them realise it's actually NuclearOption when the time comes to throw down with Goa'uld Ha'taks.
* SceneryGorn: The very first scene is a dungeon where the Cylons have been... rough with their human captives.
* SpaceNavy: Naval terms are used over several reviewers' protests about this trope.