Jacob Doakes has an unusual hobby- he loves to explore abandoned places. Crumbling halls, collapsed staircases, long-empty rooms... every one tells him a story. But on one moonlit night, a trip down the wrong corridor sends him tumbling- not to his death, but into an entirely new world. Now, to return home, Jacob must unearth the story and alter the mysterious fate of the grandest abandoned place he's ever explored:
The Rogue Wolf, acclaimed author of ''FanFic/CrossedPaths'', returns with another masterpiece. ''Written in Dust'' is a WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic FanFic, and can be read [[http://www.fimfiction.net/story/58441/written-in-dust here]].
!!Tropes present in this work:
* AdventureArchaeologist: Jacob, although Canterlot is a bit more than he bargained for in the adventure department.
* ApocalypseHow: On a planetary scale, falling somewhere between type III and IV[[spoiler:; all sapient life has been eradicated on the planet of Equus, thanks to a massive DepopulationBomb.]]
* BadassNormal: Jacob/Story. [[spoiler:He tussles with a corrupted, nigh-unkillable timber wolf as a human, and then makes a HeroicSacrifice as a unicorn. [[UnexplainedRecovery He gets better, though.]]]]
* BrainwashedAndCrazy: [[spoiler:Happens to Trixie, thanks to a combination of the entropic magic getting out of her control, and the schizophrenia-inducing side effects of the arcanocite/silver nitrate mixture.]]
* HeroicSacrifice: Jacob, while possessing Story. [[spoiler:Ends up [[SubvertedTrope subverted]], though, since both of them are still alive at the end of the fic.]]
* MundaneUtility: Inverted. [[spoiler:The 'flash' function of Story's camera spell ends up being used to temporarily blind Trixie at one point.]]