[[http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6100109/1/The_Darkness_Within_Phoenix_Version The Darkness Within]] is an ElsewhereFic set in the Pokemon universe. It focuses on Pokemon characters as opposed to a human or trainer, the main character being an cheeky and sarcastic Dragonair (who is actually named Dragonair).
Dragonair is introduced as a high-ranking Team Rocket Pokemon with a condescending and snarking attitude towards humans and their culture, drawing amusement from the relative incompetence and perceived idiocy of the specie in general. He is given a experimental collar that translates his Poke-speak for humans to understand, giving him the opportunity to share his true thoughts with his human 'underlings' during the next Rocket assignment that he placed in charge of.
During the mission, Dragonair rescues a lost and hyperactive Pichu child and quickly earns its trust, discovering that his parents were captured, presumably by a different group of Team Rocket members, and he returns from the mission with a new one: to try and figure out what happened to the parents of the Pichu and hopefully reunite them. He is joined on this endeavor by Ember, a Charmander friend of his, and so the adventure begins, drawing them past the simple task into an epic series of misadventures.
By sheer bad fortune, the small group comes across a diabolical phantom, [[MeaningfulName Diablos]], who quickly sets his sights on Dragonair when a possession attempt fails, and returns to plague their lives from then on. Opposing this phantom, and unofficial allies to the group, is a small group of Eevee evolutions, half of whom have personal grievances against Diablos.
Over time, has assembled a very large cast of recurring characters. A large fic, it [[strike:remains steadily updated]] is currently undergoing a reboot to better polish and clean up the story.
!!!This fic contains examples of:
* AxCrazy: Volt
* BabyTalk: Spark. Most notable is his use of "Me" over any pronoun referring to himself.
* BiTheWay: Frost
* BodySurf: Diablos is fond of doing this
* CallingYourAttacks: Tryce
* TheCasanova: Frost, although he is rather close to being a KavorkaMan
* ContinuityReboot: The author is currently rewriting the fic from scratch under the title "TDW: Phoenix Version". Reasons can be found [[http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4012427/297/The_Darkness_Within here.]] The original is still up so that anyone can read it.
* CurbStompBattle: Sapphire fighting Fang, Blaze fighting Frost, Frost fighting pretty much anyone [[spoiler: Except Narc]], and Diablos fighting Fear.
* DarkAndTroubledPast: Volt
* DeadpanSnarker: Dragonair, to the point where people often claim that snarks "sound like something Dragonair would say"
* DoorStopper: the fic is over 650,000 words long and 290 chapters with little indication that it's anywhere near the ending.
* EvilSoundsDeep: Most notable with Blaze, whose darker personality uses a harsh, forceful tone (sharply contrasting Blaze's normal, whiny tone). Psycho also uses a monotone a majority of the time.
* FiveFiveFive: Leaf's formula to figure out Frost's cellphone number was "5-5-5" and then the numbers corresponding to the letters in the caller's name. In this case, 555-LEAF [[spoiler: Somehow he's right]].
* FreakyFriday: Frost and Dragonair's minds get switched temporarily. Frost manages to imitate Dragonair's personality and mannerisms almost perfectly. Dragonair has a much harder time, to Frost's annoyance.
* HannibalLecture: Diablos is very fond of these.
* HurricaneOfPuns: If Doom is in the vicinity.
* InsufferableGenius: Frost
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Dragonair
* LampshadeHanging: Just about anything Dragonair says about trainers
* LoveTriangle: Aura/Blaze/Crystal.
* ManipulativeBastard: Diablos.
* NighInvulnerability: Diablos seems to follow the Made of Air version, with his preference for possessing others. When he was seen in his "true" phantom form, he was shown to be completely invulnerable. A better example is Fear, who used the combo of Conversion, Conversion 2, Trace, and Recover to negate damage.
* NotQuiteDead: [[spoiler: Almost all the villains, Fang being notable as surviving an absurd number of times]]. It's considered unusual if any of the villains die the first time around.
* OneSteveLimit: Volt's name is shared by an Electabuzz. Said Electabuzz died a terrible death for this offense.
* OnlyKnownByTheirNickname: Psycho. Only Leaf is "allowed" to refer to him as his name, Shadow.
* ParentalAbandonment: Almost all the characters lost their parents, but [[spoiler: Ember's mother literally abandoned her]]
* PlayfulHacker: Chaos
* PropheticNames: Pretty much every evolved Eevee. [[LampshadeHanging Lampshaded]]
* PunchClockVillain: Many of Diablos' underlings
* PunnyName: Ember. The author is fond of giving these names to almost all the characters.
* RunningGag: Blaze getting his fur drenched may fall into this.
* SesquipedalianLoquaciousness: Averted with Dragonair, who claims to have memorized a dictionary and enjoys defining words. Despite this, he rarely uses complex terms, and prefers needlessly defining simple words.
* ShoutOut: Quite a few. One of the more obvious ones is to Yu-Gi-Oh: the names of the "Guardians" in the Cave Army arc(s)- Elma, Tryce, Ceal. To make this more obvious, Elma is a Beautifly, Tryce calls an attack "Twin Swords", which involves flashing light, and Ceal uses Swift (Shooting Stars).
* SpecialGuest: Narc from Until Dawn. Saphire and Leaf have both made appearences on Until Dawn.
* SssssnakeTalk: Fang before evolution
* StalkerWithACrush: Rosa to Blaze.
* TheGambler: [[CaptainObvious Gamble]].
* VillainsNeverLie: Toyed with occasionally. While Diablos seems to say mostly accurate things, telling Dragonair that [[spoiler: Gamble killed Spark]] turned out to be a lie.
* WildCard: Frost, especially in his first appearances.
!!!The reboot contains examples of:
* DeadpanSnarker: Dragonair's still got this trope to his name.
* EarlyBirdCameo: Volt appears MUCH earlier than in the original, but so far only briefly. Electra also qualifies, although she was given more attention.
* SssssnakeTalk: All snake characters, Fang being most notable.