A fanfic written by [=PaleoPrints=]
After her students release the spirit of Discord on an official field trip, Cheerilee finds herself out of a job. With no opportunities in Ponyville, the schoolmare takes a job offer in the inner city area of Canterlot's old mining town. Can even she overcome the insanities of her colleagues and apathy of her students in time to pass her next annual review? And who is the mysterious backwards-talking filly following Cheerilee around? Luna's School for Disadvantaged Youngsters will never be the same!
You can find it [[http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2432/School-Daze here]]. Its sequel, ''A Nightmare in Ponyville'', can be found [[http://www.fimfiction.net/story/39063/A-Nightmare-in-Ponyville here]].
!! This story provides examples of:
* AbsentmindedProfessor - Red Glare is this with shades of CloudCuckoolander.
* AdaptationalBadass: Cherilee officially cements herself as one for bucking Discord in the face.
* AdultsAreUseless - Since the festival goers don't believe Screwball's warnings, the students have to mount [[BigDamnHeroes the daring rescue]] [[spoiler: into the collapsed mine to save their trapped teachers and Sluice's father.]]
* AlphaBitch: Bomber Jacket, Initially
* AscendedExtra: It’s a 74,000 word novel about Cheerilee, who is not a main character in the source material.
* AsHimself: Running Dangerfield, who "gets no respect I tell ya."
* BreakTheCutie: [[spoiler: Screwy in the last few chapters. She suffers internal hemorrhages of increasing severity whenever she tries to communicate normally. Narrowly averted in the end.]]
* BuffySpeak: "You’re… good at the thing where you mix the words and the stuff and they do things in the brain.”
* ButNowIMustGo: [[spoiler: Inverted: [[IChooseToStay Cheerilee stays in Old Canterlot.]]]]
* CoolTeacher - Cheerilee, Golden Ratio, Globe Trotter and Red Glare all certainly qualify.
* DeanBitterman - Principal Prunecrop is this in spades.
* DoggedNiceGuy: Red, to Cheerilee
* TheEighties - the story itself is a ShoutOut to StandAndDeliver so this is only natural.
* EducationThroughPyrotechnics - Red Glare seems to be rather fond of this trope.
* FirstGuyWins - [[spoiler: Red Glare for Cheerilee.]]
** TheLeader- Screwy
** TheLancer- Quest
** TheSmartGuy – Crunch
** TheBigGuy- Flip
** TheChick – Luster
** SixthRanger- Bomber
* FundraiserCarnival - The plan Cheerilee comes up with to save the school.
* HighSchoolSweethearts: [[spoiler: Crunch and Luster, Screwball and Quest]]
* InevitableWaterfall - Screwball and her friends face one [[spoiler:in the collapsed mine. While rafting on an underground river.]]
* InnerCitySchool - Naturally, as the school is located in Inner Canterlot.
* ManipulativeBastard - [[spoiler: Discord. He emotionally assaults Cheerilee during her darkest moments, creates a distraction in Ponyville which nearly holds up the element bearers and the princesses from helping the teachers when they are trapped in the mine, and tricks Celestia into believing he did it all to help Screwball, his "daughter"... who he in fact feels nothing but contempt for and is only using as a way of escaping his imprisonment, negating the elements binding of him. Clever bastard, eh?]]
* NoodleIncident - The Cutie Mark Crusader's escapades touched briefly on in the first chapter.
* RunningGag: The salacious pictures of Cheerilee left behind by her last class.
* ShooOutTheClowns: In terms of the last chapter title; every chapter before that is titled with the name of an 80's song. Chapter 11 is left titleless until its end.
** The Head — Quest Talltale
** The Muscle — Flip Turnpage
** The Quirk — Screwball
** The Pretty One — Luster Shinebrick
** The Smart One — Crunch Tallymark
** The Wild One- Bomber Jacket
* SpeechImpediment - Screwball says the [[ConfusingMultipleNegatives exact opposite]] of what she means, and she's prone to using [[HulkSpeak third person]]. It is later revealed that [[spoiler:Discord created her this way on purpose.]] She can speak normally with a great effort of concentration, but it takes an [[BloodFromTheMouth enormous]] [[TearsOfBlood toll]] on her body to do so.
* SuckySchool - Unfortunately, Princess Luna's School For Disadvantaged Youngsters is not exactly up to scratch. The building itself being an old prison doesn't help matters much.
* TakeThat - One to Fanfic/PastSins.
--> '''Celestia:''' Besides, does separating a youngster from her adopted mother for her father’s past sins really sound like something I’d do?
* TeensAreMonsters: At least initially.
* TheVerse: According to the summary of the author's stand-alone prequel, Choices, this is in the same universe as another one of said author's works, The Three Whooves (or at least that starts in the same universe as this).
* WaxingLyrical: Dozens of lines of dialogue are lines from 80's songs, especially Music/MenAtWork and Music/TalkingHeads.
* XanatosGambit: Invoked but ultimately averted. [[spoiler: Discord. He even calls out the trope-namer in one scene by growing a mustache, renaming a pony 'Owned,' and telling him that "[[AllAccordingToPlan Everything is going according to plan."]]]]
* YEAHShot: [[spoiler: There's an ending bro-hoof done with magical aid.]]