-> ''I'm just a guy on vacation''
''[[http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2318355/1/Make_A_Wish Make A Wish]]'' is a Harry Potter fic written by [[http://www.fanfiction.net/u/686093/Rorschachs_Blot Rorschach's Blot]].
After the events of ''[[Literature/HarryPotterAndTheOrderOfThePhoenix Order of the Phoenix]]'', Harry decides that he doesn't particularly want to simply go off and die in a final confrontation with Voldemort, at least not without having a chance to see a bit of the world first. What follows is a vacation that spans the summer (and a good part of the fic), and takes Harry, under the alias Mr. Black, through several countries, adventures, and more than a few dead Death Eaters.
It also has a sequel, ''[[http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3032621/1/The_Hunt_For_Harry_Potter The Hunt For Harry Potter]]'', by the same author, along with numerous fan-made omakes and sequels that can be found on [[http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CaerAzkaban/info his Yahoo Group.]]
!!''Make A Wish'' provides examples of:
* AchievementsInIgnorance: Many of Mr. Black's accomplishments are completely unknown to him.
* BecomingTheMask: At the end of the story [[spoiler: after Harry kills Voldemort, he decides to leave his old life behind and embrace the Mr. Black persona fully.]]
* BerserkButton: When you murder an innocent child, Mr. Black will have no restraint in dealing with you.
* CatchPhrase: When asked for more details on who he is, Mr. Black will invariably reply: "I'm just a guy on vacation."
* ComingOfAgeStory: This is a Literature/HarryPotter fic, so that's to be expected.
* ContrivedCoincidence: This happens a ''lot''. [[spoiler:It is implied that these coincidences are actually planned out by the members of a family that can see the future, led by the Diagon Alley shopkeeper that sold Harry his travel hardware. This is better seen with the wizard Wormtail buys the Portkeys from: he always sends them to where Mr Black is going to be or nearby, but in such a way that it is lethal (or almost lethal) for the Death Eaters.]]
** It's also possible that the coincidences happen because of Harry's [[BornLucky insane luck.]] On one occasion he wanders through a casino, and places a single bet. A bet that wins ''so'' big, the casino investigates it, turning up a cheat in the process.
* CruelAndUnusualDeath: Several. After [[spoiler: the Lestrange's [[TeleporterAccident gruesome end]]]], Mr. Black earned a reputation of getting 'creative' with people that anger him.
* DarkIsNotEvil: Played with. Mr. Black is believed to have been a Dark Lord who destroyed civilizations in a previous life and is now TheAtoner. That doesn't stop him from scarying pretty much everyone.
* TheDreaded: Mr. Black. Death Eaters would rather go to Azkaban than risk the chance that Mr. Black might kill them in a horribly gruesome way
* FailsafeFailure: [[JustifiedTrope Justified]] and [[InvokedTrope invoked]]. The wizard who made the Portkeys that the Death Eaters used ''deliberately'' left out [[TeleporterAccident important safety features]] because he doesn't like how they treat him.
* GenreSavvy: Death Eaters soon begin to balk at the idea of taking a Portkey with Wormtail, knowing that few to none Death Eaters come back from those attacks.
* TheGrimReaper: After Harry picks up a scythe, many people think he's the personification of Death, or possibly what ''inspired'' the Grim Reaper in the first place.
* GoodIsNotNice: Just because Mr. Black helps out the local law enforcement does not mean that he won't resort to extreme measures when they aren't looking.
* GuiltComplex: Harry's got one of these, and it only gets bigger after he finds out what everyone expects out of "Mr. Black."
* HyperCompetentSidekick: [[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin Henchgirl]], to the Professor. In fact, the only reason ''she'' got the title of "Hench" is because the Professor won a coin-toss.
* ImprobableWeaponUser: when Harry gets attacked by Dementors at Diagon Alley after he returns, instead of using his Patronus charm (which would give up his identity), he just pulls out the "Mr Black" chocolate frog card the Twins made, which sprouts hot chocolate when tapped with a wand. HilarityEnsues.
* IncrediblyLamePun: When Harry is at Paris, trying to enjoy the city's monuments and museums but having to deal with the long queues, he cannot help but think that, instead of "The City of Lights", Paris should be called "The City of Lines".
* KarmaHoudini: Wormtail
** Not so much, because all of his failures in trying to attack Mr Black have a great toll in his sanity, and in the end he gives himself up to the Aurors.
* KnightInSourArmor: Harry
* KnownOnlyByTheirNickname: The majority of Harry's companions.
* LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters: Subverted in Mr. Black's entourage. While the Professor, Henchgirl, and the Doctor all play major supporting roles, the Architect and the Mechanic have very small parts, and the Tailor and the Leather Worker are never even seen, while many characters just get a name and one scene and maybe a callback or omake later in the story.
* MadScientist: The Professor, a rare non-malicious version.
* MakeItLookLikeAnAccident: What [[ContrivedCoincidence everyone thinks]] is Mr. Black's default MO after his visit to Italy.
** Several [[AccidentalMurder accidental deaths]] get attributed to him whenever he is in the area, [[spoiler: by the end he gets credit for events ''[[UpToEleven all around the world]]'']].
** [[InvertedTrope Inverted]] in that he is also credited with the ''saving'' of lives with accidents and/or their consequences.
* MistakenForBadass: There are so many [[AccidentalMurder accidental deaths]] around "Mr. Black" that pretty much the entire magical community is convinced that he's some sort of super-wizard. In point of fact, it's all just a string of [[ContrivedCoincidence coincidences]].
** Of course, "Mr. Black" is actually quite Badass himself, particularly after his... [[NinjaPirateZombieRobot upgrades.]] It's just overshadowed by the things that [[ContrivedCoincidence happen around him]] or are mistakenly attributed to him.
* [[spoiler:NinjaPirateZombieRobot: Mr. Black becomes a hybrid of vampire and werewolf, plus the fact that his blood is mixed with basilisk venom and phoenix tears, among other things.]]
* OneDialogueTwoConversations: Harry's innocent conversations with the local crime boss he meets in Rome.
** Mr. Black feels like this when compared to the Professor and Henchgirl (and to a lesser extent the Doctor and the Architect), not to mention all the strange situations he finds himself in.
** Even more so in the sequel, where Luna, Hermione, and Tonks ''each'' thinks that she's the only sane woman in their trio. [[spoiler: None of them are.]]
* OurWerewolvesAreDifferent: [[spoiler:Harry becomes part-werewolf at one point.]]
* ReadTheFreakingManual: there are several instances of Harry (or someone else) getting instructions to make something work. [[spoiler:When he returns to England, Harry is less than pleased to be told that the reason he got in so much trouble was because he didn't read the instruction manual for the SEP Field Generator.]]
** Death Eaters taking a Portkey to some place where Mr Black is going to be, only to suffer some great misfortune. The only person that always survives is Wormtail.
*** Death Eaters later begin to balk at the idea of being on the teams sent to kill Mr Black, while those that are not sent start to take bets on what happens to those that go.
* SecretKeeper: The Weasley twins are the only canon characters aware of Mr. Black's true identity.
** The [[Literature/LifeTheUniverseAndEverything SEP Field.]]
** Another shoutout, this time to DoctorWho, when the Doctor's introducing herself.
** Harry has an urge to sing out "[[TheSoundOfMusic The hills are alive!]] [[AccidentalTruth And they're eating people]]"
** In the sequel, Harry [[Franchise/TheMatrix knows kung-fu.]]
* TeleporterAccident: [[RunningGag Many, many examples]], but the [[CruelAndUnusualDeath prize]] goes to how [[spoiler: the Lestranges die: Apparating inside of a vending machine]]. As usual, it was one part genuine accident, one part [[InvokedTrope pissing off the guy that made the Portkey]], and [[ContrivedCoincidence zero parts fault of Mr. Black]].
* TookALevelInBadass: [[spoiler: Mr. Black]], by the end of the story.
* WeirdnessCensor: Mr. Black has a bracelet that makes it difficult for people to focus on the details of his person, explicitly called [[BystanderSyndrome an SEP ("someone else's problem") Field]].