[[caption-width-right:225:[[EvilLaugh BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!]] ]]
"In the wake of the Nightmare's most pathetic assault on Ponyville yet, Applejack is thrown into an existential crisis, despite her not knowing what the word "existential" means. So when a stranger named Stranger arrives in town, teaching a new way of coupling talent to power using complex machinery, she is quickly suckered in, along with everypony else. Now, it falls to the Most Dependable of Ponies to bring the resulting ruckus down to earth, but can even Applejack's legendary pragmatism stand up to the brain-fizzing horror that is… CONTRAPTIONOLOGY?"
A CrackFic the way [[CrackFic Crack Fics]] should be written, ''Contraptionology!'' is a finished fanfiction by [[http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Skywriter [=Skywriter=]]], who also wrote ''FanFic/PrincessCelestiaHatesTea''. It can be found [[http://www.fimfiction.net/story/14777/Contraptionology%21 here]], and it's prequel one-shot story ''Infernal Machines'' can be found [[http://www.fimfiction.net/story/11496/Infernal-Machines here]].
!!This ''WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic'' FanFic contains examples of:
* AIIsACrapShoot: Exactly ''why'' did Twilight use [[spoiler:''Trixie'']] as a template, again?
* TheAlcoholic: Applejack's love of drink and brewing is played up to counterpoint her teetotaler LoveInterest Bell Pepper. Neither is depicted as right or wrong in their convictions, though.
* AnimalMecha: Angel Bunny builds one.
* BigDamnHeroes: Pinkie Pie saves [[spoiler: Applejack]] from falling with her gyrocopter.
* BiggerBad: [[spoiler:Discord]]
* BookBurning: A clear sign that Twilight is losing it, when she has the entire content of the library burnt by Spike - to make more room, and because she thinks they disagree with her findings. Seeing as she rebuilds the library in the end and doesn't seem nearly as heartbroken about it as you'd expect a bibliophile to be, she either got replacements, or Spike teleported everything to Celestia instead.
* BrainInAJar: [[spoiler: Twilight]]
* ChekhovsGun: Lots of them. A small sampling:
** Applejack learns two phrases in honeybee dance. Later she has to talk to a honeybee hybrid, using one of the phrases.
** [[spoiler: "BRAINHUG!"]]
** [[spoiler:Discord,]] using Stranger von Danger as proxy, makes a Pinkie Promise at the Tesseract Party, despite not having any intention of keeping it.
** Rainbow Dash forgetting what her actual element is [[spoiler:is the real reason she was immune to the mad science]].
** Iggy the Salamander, and his ability to [[spoiler:burn even unburnable things if fed distilled essence of pepper]].
*** For that matter, [[spoiler:Applejack]]'s invention is integral to their final plan despite it having nothing to do with its intended purpose.
** Derpy still holding on to one mostly-spent thundercloud.
* ADayInTheLimelight: The entire story is this for Applejack, at least from her perspective. [[spoiler:Eventually she learns that she's not as good a leader as Twilight was]].
* DealWithTheDevil: Never before in fanfiction has quite so much EmotionalTorque been infused into the words [[spoiler: "Nightmare Delicious".]]
* DidIJustSayThatOutLoud: Applejack accidentally blurts out her envy of Twilight while facing Nightmare Scoot. In her defense, she was pretty sleep-deprived.
* DoesThisRemindYouOfAnything: The extended scene in which Derpy is unable to buck a cloud to Rainbow's satisfaction, forcing Applejack to buck them both at once.
* AFriendInNeed: when Applejack [[spoiler: makes her deal with the Nightmare]] it's to save Rainbow Dash's life.
* FromBadToWorse: Things were already pretty bad with most of Ponyville and the Mane Six suffering from [[ScienceRelatedMemeticDisorder SRMD]], then along comes chapter sixteen in which Rainbow Dash is apparently vaporized and a badly injured Applejack is about to be killed by [[spoiler: Robo-Trixie.]]
* GargleBlaster: Applejack's Large Hadron Cider.
* GloryDays: Applejack's realization that her GloryDays are ending, while Twilight's are just starting, is what caused her to flee to Dodge Junction in "The Last Roundup".
* HiddenDepths: Pinkie Pie, doctor of philosophy.
* HonorBeforeReason: Pinkie Pie is serious about keeping her Pinkie Promises, even if the fate of Equestria is hanging in the balance.
* TheIgor: Spike becomes one, to Twilight's Victor Frankenstein.
* ImposterForgotOneDetail: Cortland is very callous about exterminating pests and unwanted things, when the real one was known for never hurting a fly.
* InVinoVeritas: Applejack discerns that she could make absolute liquid Honesty by making sufficiently (quantum-level) high-proof alcohol, since drunk ponies always speak their mind.
* InsaneTrollLogic: A lot of it, but special points to how Applejack intends link Honesty to her Cutie Mark. [[spoiler: Absoludicrously, it works.]]
* IronicEcho: Derpy throws Applejack's rant from several chapters ago back at her in the epilogue, with Applejack having the same response.
* ItWasWithYouAllAlong: the link between [[spoiler: apples and honesty.]]
* JourneyToTheCenterOfTheMind: Twilight's psychoanalysis spell
* LabcoatOfScienceAndMedicine: von Danger, of course!
* LampshadeHanging: in the Epilogue, Applejack mentions this is the third time this year they've had to rebuild Ponyville and adds that we're "kind of getting a rhythm for it."
* LargeHam: The Nightmare, which makes ponies rave about making mundane things last FOREVER!, and von Danger, who actually hires Derpy to follow him around with a thundercloud to give his words "the emphasis they require."
** Once von Danger drugs everybody, [[WorldOfHam all the world shall be glorious ham.]]
* MadScientist: Stranger von Danger, of course!
** And ''the entirety of Ponyville''.
* MessyHair: Stranger von Danger
* MixAndMatchCritters: Fluttershy's project.
* NamesToRunAwayFromReallyFast: Stranger Von Danger
-->'''Rainbow Dash:''' Come on, admit it. You [[spoiler:sold your soul]] for me and a new hat.
-->'''Applejack:''' That I did.
-->'''Rainbow Dash:''' It is a nice hat.
* NoEndorHolocaust: Justified, [[spoiler: Discord]] wants live ponies to play with.
* NoodleIncident: According to Celestia, Berry Punch annihilated all of existence, then remade it again a millisecond later, in response to a massive bender from drinking all of the remaining lemon punch.
* NotSoHarmlessVillain: [[spoiler:The Nightmare]]
* OhCrap: You do not break a Pinkie Promise - even if you're [[spoiler: Discord.]]
* OvershadowedByAwesome: Applejack, under Twilight.
* RememberTheNewGuy: The shy and polite Bell Pepper, and the straitlaced and formal Pepper family.
** Justified in that they have always kept to themselves.
* ScienceFair: For Grown-Ups!
* ScienceRelatedMemeticDisorder: Pervasive throughout the entire story. In-story, the field of contraptionology can actively induce this although not nearly as fast as it happens [[spoiler:in Ponyville, where Discord is speeding up the process]]. Lampshaded early when Applejack puts together a Jacob's Ladder for her lab just for the heck of it.
* [[ScreamsLikeALittleGirl Screams Like A Little Filly]]: Applejack certainly does not. It was the Cloppler effect, thank you very much.
* SesquipedalianLoquaciousness: Twilight Sparkle, when she talks in science.
** Pretty much anyone under the spell of contraptionology. Applejack's description of the Clopper effect is a particularly hilarious example.
* ShoutOut: Rainbow Dash's [[Film/BladeRunner Voigt-Clopff]] test
** "It's alive! ALIIIVE!"
* SuspiciouslySpecificDenial: Twilight, while in complete OCD mode, realizes that Applejack has some idea of Pinkie's education:
-->'''Applejack:''' [...] I ain't all book-learned like you, or apparently, Pinkie Pie, is.
-->'''Twilight:''' ''drops everything she was telekinetically holding'' Oh, that Pinkie Pie! Has she been regaling you with some of her random and totally untrue stories again?
-->'''Applejack:''' Uh, maybe?
-->'''Twilight: '''[[BadLiar Hoo hoo! What a laugh!]] Boy, she was telling me a real whopper earlier today, I don't know, maybe it was the same one she told you! It was just some crazy and, let me stress, totally non-true, story about how she's secretly a doctor of advanced contraptionology with a degree from the Maresachusetts Institute of Technology and how while she was in college she made a mechanical lizard that makes 'squonk' noises and breathes fire when it eats hot food and it came looking for her and that's what started the forest fire last night and so now we have to return it to her thesis advisor in Maresachusetts and that's why we're going on a road trip! It was funny because of how patently not-true it was!
-->'''Sound From Kitchen'''- ''SQUONK!''
* TalkingIsAFreeAction: Rarity stops running from the mutant bees long enough to complement Applejack on her outfit.
* UnreliableNarrator: Applejack spends most of the story under effects of first sleep deprivation, then ''three'' different forms of mind-altering magic. Generally it's made clear to the reader what's going on but the significance often flies over her head as she narrates.
* VillainDecay: The Nightmare, once a genocidal threat to Equestria, is now the terrifying filly of darkness: NIGHTMARE SCOOT! [[spoiler:She recovers most of her dignity in the story.]]