->"Rejoice in your gift, my young friends. For that is what our magic is: a gift. Do not listen to what the Templars, Chantry priests, or even what some of our fellow Mages say. Magic is a gift bestowed upon us from the Maker; why else would He grant us such amazing abilities? We have a heavy burden to pay for our gifts, true, but life is not without consequences. So never forget, children, that the magic you possess is not a curse, but a very important power that the Maker has seen fit to grant you all. Never forget that."
--> --[[TheMentor Enchanter Angelica]]
A ''Franchise/DragonAge'' [[AlternateUniverseFic Alternate Universe fanfic]] written by Anime-Star Wars-Fan-Zach. It asks the question: what if [[RoyalBastard Alistair]] hadn't grown up with the Templar Order? What if instead he'd been raised in the Mage Tower?
It features appearances from a young [[BloodMagic Jowan,]] [[WoobieDestroyerOfWorlds Anders,]] [[CoolOldLady Wynne,]] and even [[PlayerCharacter Emelia Amell.]]
The story is still in its early stages, but the author plans to take it all the way to the Fifth Blight...and possibly beyond.
Can be found [[http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8624838/1/Alistair-the-Mage here]].
!!This fanfiction contains examples of:
* AllOfTheOtherReindeer: It kind of sucks when the main religion of the setting thinks you're inherently evil because you can do something they can't. It sucks even more when you realize [[BlessedWithSuck it has]] [[DemonicPossession a point.]]
* DarkAndTroubledPast: Almost the whole cast so far.
** Alistair was raised in a stable and lived a lonely existence until he was captured by Templars.
** Talia was a slave of Arl Urien, abused by him and his monstrous son before being rescued and taken to the Tower.
** If his origin follows the main continuity, Anders counts as well, having suffered a father who feared him for his power and Templars who took him away in chains.
* DeadpanSnarker: It looks like Alistair learned this from Anders in this continuity.
* EvilMentor: [[TheCorrupter Senior Enchanter Uldred]] trained the sweet and caring Enchanter Angelica.
* FriendlessBackground: Alistair has one.
* MeaningfulName: Enchanter Angelica is a kind-hearted instructor who believes magic to be a gift, not a curse.
* MythologyGag / CallForward: Quite a few references to [[AlternateUniverse (possible)]] future events.
* NeverLearnedToRead: Alistair and many of his classmates.
* WideEyedIdealist: Alistair starts out as one.
* WizardingSchool: Subverted. As in the main continuity, it's also basically a Wizarding Prison.