''[[http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6019679/1/A_Captive_Light A Captive Light]]''is a Digimon fanfic written by Hedgi.
Set during Digimon Adventure 02, Ken plots his revenge for his most recent defeat at the hands of the Digidestined. [[TrueCompanions He realizes that the greatest strength is also a weakness- they are loyal to a fault and would do anything for a friend]]. He plots to kidnap one of them to use as a hostage. However, his newest minions, the harpy like Zhannemon, fail and only manage to capture Gatomon. Kari is panic stricken, and they try desperately to find Ken and free the captive digimon, while Ken plots his next move. The group follows false trails and is attacked by the Zhannemon, who bear no dark rings but are instead infected with the evil black gears used by Devimon in the past. Emotions run high as the kids try to rescue their friend, and the younger Digidestined learn about the older kid's past- for Kari is convinced that history is repeating and something terrible is coming. And it is - for Ken's plan to rid the Digital world of the other Digidestined comes to a head when he strikes out again - and memories of the past return to haunt Kari and her friends.
Part of a series called ''History Repeats''
Has a sequel called [[http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7711429/1/A-Fading-Hope A Fading Hope]], which has a companion, [[http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8753321/1/No-Knowledge-of-What-Comes No Knowledge of What Comes]].
!!This Fanfiction provides examples of:
* AdultsAreUseless: Averted! While they never show up in the story proper, Izzy’s parents agree to give the kids an alibi for the time spent looking in the Digiworld. Jim also helps the kids out.
* AllAccordingToPlan: Toyed with. Ken has a plan, it gets screwed up by his minions but ends up working. Later, T.K’s plan. It takes longer than he thinks, and only kinda works.
* ArcWords: “It’s happening Again.” and “I Promised.” (That “It” wouldn’t happen “Again.”)
* BewareTheNiceOnes: When Kari snaps,[[spoiler: Angewomon shows up and starts vaporizing things. She nearly kills Ken!]]
* BigBrotherInstinct: Tai and Matt, big time. Matt lays the smackdown on Ken [[spoiler: after T.K is attacked]], and earlier Tai charges Ken, despite the fact that he is “ 13 feet above the ground, riding an 8-ton monster.”
%%* BigNo: Multiple times.
* BadassAdorable: Despite her HeroicBSOD, Gatomon kicks some butt during the battle.
* BadDreams: Tai gets these after[[spoiler: Kari is kidnapped]]. In the universe, it’s implied that Gatomon had them in the past, and Kari as well.
* ChekhovsGun: Kari’s fake crest, The Zhannemon feather she picked up.
* CliffHanger: Used by the author frequently. She thinks it’s funny to torment the readers.
* CrazyPrepared: Joe. He even has a ''stretcher'' hidden in the classroom the kids use.
* DisneyDeath: [[spoiler: T.K.]] Although it was more of “I thought you were dead”
* [[spoiler: EverybodyLives]]: A series of cliffhangers and an author’s note make it seem unlikely.
%%* EvilGloating: Averted.
* EvilOverlordList: Ken brings it up.
* FromBadToWorse: Gatomon’s been kidnapped! [[spoiler: and then Kari... and then T.K. dies. ish ]]
* HaveYouComeToGloat?:[[spoiler: Kari]] to Ken. To her confusion, he hasn’t.
* HeroicSacrifice:[[spoiler: T.K for Kari.]] ( also mentions Wizardmon’s)
%%* HeroicBSOD: Kari! Also Gatomon.
* HistoryRepeats: Kari is determined not to let “It” happen again ( ‘It’ referring to when Myotismon captured first Gatomon, then her, and upon trying to kill her, watching a friend die in a Heroic Sacrifice.) [[spoiler: despite everything, it does]]
* HostageForMacGuffin: [[spoiler: Kari]] for the Digivices.
* IAlwaysWantedToSayThat: Tai. Davis complains that he didn't get to say what ''he'' always wanted to say.
* IHaveYourWife: Twice- once to Kari as I have your cat, the second time to [[spoiler: the rest of the DD, I have your Kari.]]
* IWillFindYou: Kari to Gatomon, then [[spoiler:Tai to Kari.]]
%%* ItsAllMyFault: Kari, in spades.
* LetsSplitUpGang: The Digidestined tend to split up while searching, mostly to cover more ground of because of various leads.
* LiteralCliffhanger: Cody, Tai has to rescue him and let Ken escape.
%%* LittleNo: Mostly Kari.
%%* MeaningfulEcho: “ I Promise.”
* MeaningfulName: Kari gains the middle name Mitsumi, which also means Light.
%%* NeverSayDie: Averted.
* OhNoNotAgain: Emphasis on Again, not used in a lighthearted manner at all. Kari and Gatomon.
* RedHerring: They try to find Gatomon searching for her signal, but it comes to nothing. Later [[spoiler: the third missing 11 year old leads the adults to think that Kari’s been kidnapped, yes, she was, but they start looking for connections that aren’t there.]]
* RousingSpeech: Mimi to her Army.
%%* SayMyName: frequently.
* SheWillComeForMe: Or rather, They will. [[spoiler: Kari]] to Ken, and the basis for Ken’s whole plan.
* ShoutOut: To Tamora Pierce’s Stormwings. Also to ''Literature/ALittlePrincess'', and ''Chasing Vermeer.''
* SomethingOnlyTheyWouldSay: Tai uses this to prove [[spoiler: Kari’s Kari.]]
* StopOrIWillShoot: More or less, replace “ Shoot” with “ sic my digimon slaves on everyone.”
%%* SurvivorGuilt: Kari. Twice.
%%* ThePromise: Oh, so much.
* TrustPassword: Ken assumes the DD would have one. They don’t.
* TrueCompanions: It’s a digimon story, what do you expect?
* VillainsNeverLie: Ken keeps his end of the deal.
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse?: Where was Wormmon during the battle?
* YouSaidYouWouldLetThemGo: [[spoiler: Kari]] to Ken. He does uphold his end of the deal, though, and lets Gatomon go.
!! A Fading Hope provides examples of:
* BadDreams: T.K has several, getting worse as the story goes on.
* BigNo: Kari to Devimon.
* CatapultNightmare: T.K in the first chapter.
* ChekhovsGun: [[spoiler: Kari’s fake crest, Matt’s coat.]]
* ChosenOne: “the Small One.”
* DarkerAndEdgier: The tone is darker, and while there are still many light hearted moments, the story is considerably darker than A Captive Light.
* DarkestHour: the gang’s captured, Matt and [[spoiler: Cody]] are ''dying'', [[spoiler: Kari’s]] ''dead'', and TK ''loses'' hope. If that’s not a Darkest Hour, what is?
* DeadSidekick: Mentioned. Even though he Got Better, Patamon. It gives T.K. nightmares.
* DespairEventHorizon: just after the DarkestHour. Rather chilling.
* DespairGambit: Devimon's plan. Unlike many examples of this trope, it actually works [[spoiler: Until T.K. is reminded that two of his friends ''might'' still have a chance if he fights.]]
* DisneyDeath: [[spoiler: Kari. Kari, Kari, Kari.]]
* FlashbackNightmare: of a sort.
* [[spoiler: EverybodyLives]]: revealed at the very end, after several chapters of uncertainty.
* HeroicSacrifice: [[spoiler: Kari for T.K.]]
* HeroicBSOD: Oh, T.K.....
* HistoryRepeats: Devimon’s claim that the Smallest would defeat him, moving to kill T.K,[[spoiler: the HeroicSacrifice of a friend being all that saves his butt.]]
* HopeSpot: [[spoiler: Kari’s the Chosen one! They can still win.. or...not. later, TK gets one when he realizes that Tai and the others are alive, thinking Kari might be with them. Nope.]]
* ItsAllMyFault: T.K. He snaps out of it.
* ItsProbablyNothing: T.K to Patamon about his dreams
* LittleNo: often. several in the Dream alone
* MoodWhiplash: in chapter two, it goes from happily hanging out to an attack of black gears. On the flip side, the Dream starts off very, very dark and whiplashes to a very nice dream in second
* NeverSayDie: toyed with, mostly averted.
* NightmareSequence: the first half of the Dream.
* OnlyOne: The Small One is the only one who CAN defeat Devimon - the prophecy does not say that he WILL, however. [[LampshadeHanging This is pointed out.]]
* OpenMindedParent: To some extent, T.K.’s. Also, Izzy’s, extremely so.( This is mainly in the extra found on Hedgi’s blog.)
%%* SayMyName: also frequently
%%* ShoutOut: to Serenity.
* TheReveal [[spoiler:Kari's the Small One, not T.K....except that no, actually it ''was'' T.K.]]
* UnChosenOne: [[spoiler: What T.K thinks he is after Kari is killed. Turns out he was the Chosen one after all.]]
* WhamLine: “Since File Island was back...Devimon might be, too...”; “He’s dying”