The 45th entry in the DisneyAnimatedCanon.
Chronologically the last [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_on_the_Range_(2004_film) traditionally animated feature]] of the DisneyAnimatedCanon released until 2009's ''Disney/ThePrincessAndTheFrog''. Technically, ''Disney/BrotherBear'' was the last hand-drawn feature they ''[[AnimationLeadTime produced]]'', but this was the last one ''released''.
[[TheWildWest In Ye Olde Wild West]], three cows named Maggie, Mrs. Calloway, and Grace live on a small, cozy farm named Patch of Heaven with other animals. Then the farm is threatened with foreclosure, and our heroines must act to save their home. They plan to achieve this by capturing a big-name cattle rustler named Alameda Slim for his bounty, which is the exact amount they need.
The cows are voiced by Roseanne Barr (Maggie), Creator/JudiDench (Mrs. Calloway), and Creator/JenniferTilly (Grace). Other notable voices include Cuba Gooding Jr., Randy Quaid and Creator/SteveBuscemi.
There is now a [[Characters/HomeOnTheRange character page]] in need of work.
* TheAce: Rico the Bounty Hunter, who Buck idolizes and many people recognize as one of the greats.
** BrokenAce: But he's [[spoiler: really working with Slim]], which Buck finds out the hard way.
* AmplifiedAnimalAptitude: It's a Disney film.
* AnAesop: Home is where the heart is.
* ArtEvolution: this was the last Disney film to use the CAPS digital ink-and-paint system in use since 1989. ''ThePrincessAndTheFrog'' used the more modern Toon Boom system.
* ArtShift: Only for the DVD features, such as the short "A Dairy Tale". All the characters are SuperDeformed and look like kids even though they still have their same voice actors.
** Do not mess with Mrs Calloway's hat.
** Do not mistake [[BigBad Slim's]] yodeling as "singing".
-->... My ''singing?'' Songbirds SING. Saloon gals SING. Little bitty snot-nosed children sing, I ''yodel''! And YODELING, is an ''ART!!!''
** Don't suggest to Pearl, the owner of Patch of Heaven, about selling any of her animals, either.
* BlindingBangs: All three of the Willie Brothers with a one PeekABangs moment during the fight scene near the train tracks.
* BrightIsNotGood: Slim, whose psychedelic hypnosis offers a strong contrast to the usual dark themed Disney antagonist.
* CardCarryingVillain: Slim.
--> They call me mean. Boys, depraved and nasty too. And they ain't seen, boys, the cruelest thing I do!
* ChekhovsGunman: The rabbit seen at the very beginning later helps out the cows by showing them where Alameda Slim's hideout is.
* TheChewToy: The one-legged rabbit Lucky Jack, as hilariously demonstrated in the opening scene.
* ClarkKenting: A rare villain example. Alameda Slim does this to buy up the lands he just rustled. [[LampshadeHanging Lampshaded]] when his nephews are easily duped by it.
* CompellingVoice: Alameda Slim, when he yodels. It only works on cows, which is perfect for a cattle rustler.
* ConspicuousCGI: Quite a few scenes.
* CoolHorse: Buck. He's also the third [[Disney/OneHundredAndOneDalmatians Disney]] [[Disney/TheAristocats horse]] to talk.
* CutSong: "Heros and Villains (and Cows!)"
* TheDragon: [[spoiler:Rico]]
* DisneyAcidSequence: Occurs during the VillainSong (watch it [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twwDquFU87o here]]). Tame in comparison to past Disney examples, though.
* DumbBlonde: The Willie Brothers as male examples.
** Blonde-haired cow Grace counts as well.
* FeatherFingers: None are evident, and the cows almost never actually rear up on their back legs to use their hooves like hands. But their tail-tufts are apparently prehensile, to the point where Maggie can do sleight of hand with hers.
* FreudianExcuse: Slim's overall plan, he wants revenge on all the ranch owners for not appreciating his own.
** A ''lot'' with Maggie.
-->"Yeah, they're real. Quit staring."
** This line is the reason why the film got a PG rating.
** Just from the VillainSong, it's clear that the bad guy's minions are... very interested in his butt. Pulling out the waistband of his pants, slapping it, pulling up his underwear...
** When the cows enter a saloon and wreak havoc, one of the saloon gals is revealed to be a Drag Queen.
** The beginning of the Cattle Drive Scene
--> "Maybe we can help EACH OTHER?" *wink*
--> "So ah, how does that work exactly? Do ya get ta ride him on odd days or even?"
** "I have two words for you guys! Cold! Shower!"
* HeelFaceTurn: Once Buck the horse realizes that the guy he idolizes and had been working with is a bad guy, he helps the cows escape after they were captured.
* HollywoodToneDeaf: Grace.
* HumiliationConga: This happens to Alameda Slim, especially at the climax.
--> '''Alameda Slim:''' (upon his defeat by barn animals): You think you've won?! It's ain't over till the fat man sings!
* InformedLocation: Patch of Heaven is said to be a dairy farm. Before Maggie came along, it had exactly two cows.
* InkSuitActor: Steve Buscemi. One might say the same about famously voluptuous Roseanne Barr and Jennifer Tilly as actual cows.
* InterspeciesRomance: [[spoiler:Junior the Buffalo and Mrs. Calloway, at the end.]]
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Buck is initially annoying and selfish towards the cows, but close to the end, he joins their team and helps them escape.
* TheKnightsWhoSaySquee: Buck is a big fan of Rico, and was excited at the prospect of being his horse for the bounty hunt on Slim when first chosen.
* LaughablyEvil: Slim is commonly compared to [[Disney/PeterPan Captain Hook]] in this regard by fans.
* LuckyRabbitsFoot: Lucky Jack is a jackrabbit with a peg-leg and incredibly bad luck, implying that someone took one of his feet, and with it all his good luck.
* PowerTrio: Of the three cows, Maggie is Ego, Mrs. Calloway is Superego, and Grace is Id.
* RealIsBrown: At least compared with most Disney cartoons.
* RidiculouslyCuteCritter: The baby animals.
* RightBehindMe: After fooling Rico's horse into running away, Buck remarks that he "must be takin' stupid lessons" from Slim's buffalo, Junior. Guess where we pan to after that statement...
* SarcasmBlind: This scene:
-->'''Maggie''': I got it! Why don't we go nab that Alameda Slim and use the reward money to save the farm?
-->'''Mrs. Calloway''': Oh, that is a ''sensible'' idea.
-->'''Maggie''': I knew you'd love it!
-->'''Mrs. Calloway''': Don't they have sarcasm where you come from?
* ShoutOut: At one point, one of the cows refers to Buck as [[SpiritStallionOfTheCimarron "Stallion of the CiMORON"]]
** "[[Film/LittleCaesar Mother of Mercy]]. [[FamousLastWords Is this the end of]] [[spoiler: Rico]]?"
* StockScream: The bison lets out a Goofy holler.
* StoutStrength: Alameda Slim puts all three cows in a one-armed headlock, then quickly pins them to the ground.
* VillainSong: ''"Yodel-Adle-Eedle-Idle-Oo"''.
* WilhelmScream: [[ParodiedTrope Parodied]] with Goofy's yell.
* YouCantGoHomeAgain: Maggie's beloved home, the Dixon Ranch, was raided by Slim, leaving her the only remaining cow. She's sold to Patch of Heaven at the beginning of the film, along with all the issues one might expect to arise from this.
** This also applies to Lucky Jack, who, as he says, once lived in Echo Mine along with many other jackrabbits for generations, until Slim arrived and kicked 'em out.