-->'''What if I told you that you can change the outcome of this war?''
''Scattered Remains'' is an upcoming series of novels by Justin George. The first entry in the series, ''Dual Destinies'', is scheduled to be released in early 2011, and contains two books: ''Capital Grounds'' and ''Her Loyal Guard''.
It is set from 1975 to 1978 and tells of an AlternateHistory, where an utility company, [=DoubleHelix=] Discharge Incorporated (usually shortened to [=DoubleHelix=] or DHD), has monopolized the competition, and is so powerful that it eventually forms its own [[PeoplesRepublicOfTyranny place in government]] and even rules over some smaller countries. It also uses its army to enforce the [[IntimidatingRevenueService direct collection of its bills.]]
The story has several heroes, but focuses mainly on [[ActionGirl Ambrosine "Swifty" Worden]], the leader of and a general in the massive army for the DHD Armed Forces, and the wielder of the mysterious sword, [[CoolSword Requiem]], which gives the wielder near-invincibility as long as she keeps it on her person.
The second most important character is Nate Callaghan, an ex-con who joined the DHD. Armed Forces to avoid execution for murdering his former partner-in-crime. A generally violent and impatient man, he trusts no one, except for his sister, Isabella, who works in DHD. as the Head of the Medical Department. Later in the story, he is reassigned to serve Swifty as a bodyguard, along with his best friend, Jack Sugawara.
!!''Scattered Remains'' provides examples of:
** TheCaptain: Cyrus
** NumberTwo: Simon, later [[spoiler: Royce]].
** SergeantRock: Jackson, although he's TheQuietOne when he isn't training recruits.
** NewMeat: Kelsey aka "Royce". Later becomes the [[spoiler: EnsignNewbie.]]
** TheSquadette: Melanie.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: Swifty would not allow anyone to shoot anyone from the C.B.L.F., because they were all at a party.
* LadyOfWar: Cecilia, and to a lesser extent, Swifty.
* MegaCorp: [=DoubleHelix=] Discharge is this, although they only specialize in utilities.
* CorruptCorporateExecutive: President Gordon Kingsley, and later, his son, Lucian Kingsley.
* SuperPersistentPredator: Anthony Krauser is this to the C.B.L.F., but more specifically Royce.
* ReluctantWarrior: Royce. He didn't even want to join the C.B.L.F. at all, and the only reason he worked with Cyrus was to [[spoiler: rescue his friend, who was imprisoned unfairly by D.H.D. and was to be executed.]]
* WeaponOfMassDestruction: The C.C.D. (Crowd Control Disintegrator), which can create an explosion that vaporizes anything with water in it, including rivers, lakes, and humans if necessary.
* HealingHands: Almost literally in The Doc's case, who uses healing P.P.E. to often heal wounds quickly. However, [[WoundThatWillNotHeal this isn't the case with all wounds.]]
* ShootTheMedicFirst: Averted in The Doc's case, since even the C.B.L.F. knows her P.P.E. healing powers are valuable.
* TheLawsAndCustomsOfWar: Even though they are fighting against a resistance movement, the [=DoubleHelix=] Armed Forces still apply this. They WouldNotShootACivilian,[[KickThemWhileTheyAreDown but any surrendering soldier is fair game.]]
* HeroesPreferSwords: Played straight with Cyrus, who is seen with a sword nearly all the time. Averted with Swifty, who isn't a hero, per se, [[Chekhov'sBoomerang but still uses and carries a special sword with her, claiming that guns are "crude and cowardly."]]
* [[spoiler: EyepatchOfPower]]
* MoralGuardian: Cecilia to Swifty, which is ironic considering all the war crimes she has committed.
* ObligatoryWarCrimeScene: Both the C.B.L.F. and the [=DoubleHelix=] Armed Forces has one of these.
* ConflictingLoyalty: Several characters go through this trope, but Jack is the most prominent. [[spoiler: It's what sparks his Bodyguard Betrayal.]]
* TheUriahGambit, which leads to [[spoiler: UnfriendlyFire]]
* [[spoiler:WasItAllALie]]Asked almost word by word by Royce.
* [[spoiler:WelcomeBackTraitor]]: Although very reluctantly.
* BadassNormal: Nearly all of the main characters who are in the C.B.L.A., including [[spoiler: Royce.]] Later on, [[spoiler: Nate]] turns out to be one as well.
* BackToBackBadasses: Cyrus and Royce.
* FingerlessGloves: Jack (and later Nate) does this with his gloves, to make it easier to reload his gun.
* FourStarBadass: Cyrus and Greg, who lead the C.B.L.A. While they weren't generals in the Albourgian army, he assumed the rank in order to prevent mutiny and dissention of the ranks.
* AwesomeMomentOfCrowning: Happens near the end of Capitol Grounds when [[spoiler: Cyrus gives Royce the rank of Captain for his contributions in the C.B.L.A.]]
* BadassCrew: The original squad of Cyrus, Royce, Jackson, Simon, and Melanie.
* TheDragon: Cecilia. She later becomes a [[spoiler: *DragonWithAnAgenda]]
* LittleMissBadass: Swifty can apply to this trope, although she is a bit old for it.
* LaResistance: The Circuit Breaker Liberation Front originally starts as this, before it turned into a
* YourTerroristsAreOurFreedomFighters: The president of Albourge eventually comes out saying this about the C.B.L.A.
* VillainProtagonist: Swifty, as she is the leader of the D.H.D. Armed Forces and has no problem with ordering peoples' deaths, but [[AlternateCharacterInterpretation whether or not she is a villain is up to you.]]
* SympatheticPOV: Used in Her Loyal Guard to shine some light on the people behind D.H.D.
* BeleagueredAssistant: Royce is this to Cyrus, although Royce is more than happy to be one.
* TellMeAboutMyFather: Swifty says this word for word to [[spoiler: her aunt, Cecilia]].
* Parental Substitute: [[spoiler: Cecilia]] becomes this to Swifty nearly 12 years before the story starts.
* WholeEpisodeFlashback: Or whole chapter, to be precise.