Actress born February 10, 1967, best known for such movies as ''Film/JurassicPark'', ''Film/BlueVelvet'', ''WildAtHeart'', ''Citizen Ruth'', and ''InlandEmpire''. Daughter of Creator/BruceDern and Diane Ladd.
[[YMMV/LauraDern YMMV page here.]]
!!Tropes related to her carreer:
* BlackSheepHit: While the majority of Dern's roles have been in dramatic indie films with some kind of socio-political edge, her best known role is Dr. Ellie Sattler in the action-adventure blockbuster JurassicPark.
* ChekhovsGunman: Dern appeared as a child eating an ice cream cone in the 1974 film ''Film/AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore" (of which her mom Diane Ladd was a supporting cast member). After numerous retakes required her to eat twelve cones in one sitting, which she did without getting sick, director Creator/MartinScorsese remarked to Ladd, [[HilariousInHindsight "This girl could be an actress!"]]
* OldShame: Her appearance in the (never-released) low-budget horror film ''Grizzly II'' in the mid-1980s because [[IWasYoungAndNeededTheMoney she was young and needed the money]]. Just saying the film's title is good enough to get a priceless reaction out of her.
** Dern is very enthusiastic about what she does; has a tendency to geek out pretty much whenever anything related to film or the performing arts is brought up, and ESPECIALLY if one of her films is brought up.
** Despite going completely against the roles she usually picks, she happily took her role in ''Jurassic Park'' because she thought appearing in a dinosaur movie would be the coolest thing ever, and she couldn't turn down the opportunity to work with Creator/StevenSpielberg. During filming she climbed inside one of the animatronic dinosaurs to see how it worked.
* PlayingAgainstType: What her role as Dr. Ellie Sattler in ''Jurassic Park'' effectively was.
* RomanceOnTheSet: Has dated a lot of her male co-stars. Has been in relationships with Nicolas Cage, Jeff Goldblum, Kyle Maclachlan and Billy Bob Thornton, among others.