Howard Waldrop is an American SF writer of mostly short stories.
Wikipedia says of him, "His style is sometimes obscure or elliptical", which is unnecessarily tentative -- a Waldrop story is a story that you either get or you don't. If you do get it, it's awesome.
His stories include:
* "The Ugly Chickens", in which a researcher discovers that the [[DumbDodoBird dodo]] survived the extinction of the native population in the form of a flock owned by a farmer in the American backwoods. Won the NebulaAward and the WorldFantasyAward.
* "Night of the Cooters", in which one of the alien war machines from Creator/HGWells's ''Literature/TheWarOfTheWorlds'' goes off-course and lands in Texas instead of England.
* "Ike at the Mike", in which Music/ElvisPresley is a senator and DwightDEisenhower a famous musician.
* "Man Mountain Gentian", the tale of the world's greatest zen sumo wrestler.
He has contributed to the ''WildCards'' series (he wrote "Thirty Minutes Over Broadway!", the story that set up the whole premise) and to the TurkeyCityLexicon.
Howard Waldrop's works include examples of:
* TheCatfish: "God's Hooks!"
* DumbDodoBird: "The Ugly Chickens"
* RichardNixonTheUsedCarSalesman: "Ike at the Mike"
* ZeppelinsFromAnotherWorld: "Custer's Last Jump"