A long-time contributor of cartoons to ''Magazine/TheNewYorker'' magazine, '''Charles Addams''' (1912-1988) specialized in whimsically grotesque scenes, which was evidently [[CollectorOfTheStrange something of a case]] of [[WriteWhoYouKnow Drawing What He Knew]].
One set of his recurring characters became the basis for the television series (and later movies) ''Series/TheAddamsFamily''. Addams also drew such classic one-off cartoons as [[ObstacleSkiCourse a skier somehow going around a tree on both sides at once]]; a [[DastardlyWhiplash moustachioed villain]] with a young damsel slung over his shoulder heading down into a subway, presumably to [[ChainedToARailway tie her to the tracks]]; and a BananaPeel lying on a busy city sidewalk, cordoned off by "caution" signs.
!! This creator provides examples of the following tropes:
* AwfulWeddedLife: Numerous examples of husbands and wives either fantasizing about or actively plotting to do each other in. Interestingly, the reoccurring tribe who became The Addams Family is a very notable exception to this.
-->"Are you unhappy, darling?"\\
"Oh, yes. ''Yes!'' Completely."
* BaldOfEvil: The guy who became Uncle Fester.
* BlackComedy: It's basically his trademark.
* ChainedToARailway: Used as a gag more than once.
* CollectorOfTheStrange: Addams himself. He died (peacefully) seated behind the wheel of one of his classic automobiles.
* DeathAsComedy: One cartoon has a woman inviting her husband to enter the house, while she has a gun aimed at the door.
* DeliberatelyMonochrome: Most cartoons are in black-and-white and take place in dark settings.
* TheNameless: In his original cartoons the Addams Family characters remained nameless. Only for the tv sitcom ''Series/TheAddamsFamily'' the script writers asked him to invent names for the individual family members.
* NightmareFetishist: The man was openly into the dark and macabre.
* NoodlePeople: The gal who became Morticia.