An American author of the baby boomer generation known for his YoungAdult and ChildrensLiterature. He tends to write in the SpeculativeFiction genre, occasionally dipping into horror, although generally of the [[DefangedHorrors kid-friendly variety]].
!! His works include:
* ''Literature/ArmageddonSummer'': Collaboration with Creator/JaneYolen.
* ''Literature/IWasASixthGradeAlien'' (renamed ''My Best Friend Is An Alien'' in some countries)
* The ''Literature/MagicShop'' series
** ''The Monster's Ring''
** ''Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher''
** ''Jennifer Murdley's Toad''
** ''The Skull Of Truth''
** ''The Metamorphosis of Justin Jones'' (short story)
** ''Juliet Dove Queen Of Love''
** ''I Left My Sneakers in Dimension X''
** ''The Search for Snout''/''Aliens Stole My Dad''
** ''Aliens Stole My Body''
** ''Space Brat''
** ''Space Brat 2: Blork's Evil Twin''
** ''Space Brat 3: The Wrath of Squat''
** ''Space Brat 4: Planet of the Dips''
** ''Space Brat 5: The Saber-Toothed Poodnoobie''
* ''Literature/MyTeacherIsAnAlien'': A series that starts out about WeNeedToGetProof, but halfway through, turns into a series about HumanityOnTrial.
** ''My Teacher Fried My Brains''
** ''My Teacher Glows In The Dark''
** ''My Teacher Flunked The Planet''
** ''Into the Land of the Unicorns''
** ''Song of the Wanderer''
** ''Dark Whispers''
** ''The Last Hunt''
* ''The Monsters of Morley Manor''
* And numerous short stories and short story anthologies.
!!Is associated with the following tropes:
* AdaptationExpansion: Coville has done this with three of his own short stories.
** Every book in his ''Bruce Coville's Book Of...'' anthology series begins with one of his own stories. The first of these, ''My Little Brother Is a Monster'' (published in 1993), was expanded and adapted into the full-length book ''Always October'' in 2012.
** The seventh through eleventh volumes (published in 1996 and 1997) began with the five-part SerialNovel ''The Monsters of Morley Manor'', which was expanded and modified into its own book of the same title, released in 2003.
** ''Clean As a Whistle'', first published in the 1994 anthology ''Oddly Enough'', has been expanded into a full-length novel, ''Diary of a Mad Brownie'', slated for release in 2015.
* AlienLunch: Loves describing strange and unusual foods, which more often than not, actually turn out to be quite tasty.
* CreatorThumbprint: Quite a few works involve miniaturized individuals. Precisely two-inches high. ''The Monsters of Morley Manor''. The kids in ''I Left My Sneakers in Dimension X'' are described to be two inches tall compared to the monster Smorkus Flinders, if he was human size. the aliens in ''Aliens Stole My Homework'' make themselves that small when they fly through space basically inexplicably. The protagonist and his teacher in the sequel to ''I Was A Sixth Grade Alien'' and the classroom's hamsters in the third book.
* DarkIsNotEvil: Few of the monsters or supernatural entities in the books are evil. At worst, they're tragic [[AntiVillain Anti-Villains]].
* DefangedHorrors: Some of them fall right into the category of actual horror, though.
* EndOfAnAge: The former magical age of the earth is implied in several continuities (TheUnicornChronicles and Literature/MagicShop).
* TheLittleShopThatWasntThereYesterday: S. H. Elives' wandering magic shoppe appears in many of his stories.
* TranslatorMicrobes: Make an appearance in many of his novels involving trans-species communication. Takes the form of a translator implant in the MyTeacherIsAnAlien series, and a gift of dragon's blood in TheUnicornChronicles.