An American author of the baby boomer generation known for his YoungAdult and ChildrensLiterature. He tends to write in the SpeculativeFiction genre, occasionally dipping into horror, although generally of the [[DefangedHorrors kid-friendly variety]].
!! His works include:
* ''Literature/ArmageddonSummer'': Collaboration with Creator/JaneYolen.
* ''IWasASixthGradeAlien'' (renamed ''My Best Friend Is An Alien'' in some countries)
* The ''Literature/MagicShop'' series
** ''The Monster's Ring''
** ''Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher''
** ''Jennifer Murdley's Toad''
** ''The Skull Of Truth''
** ''The Metamorphosis of Justin Jones'' (short story)
** ''Juliet Dove Queen Of Love''
** ''I Left My Sneakers in Dimension X''
** ''The Search for Snout''/''Aliens Stole My Dad''
** ''Aliens Stole My Body''
** ''Space Brat''
** ''Space Brat 2: Blork's Evil Twin''
** ''Space Brat 3: The Wrath of Squat''
** ''Space Brat 4: Planet of the Dips''
** ''Space Brat 5: The Saber-Toothed Poodnoobie''
* ''Literature/MyTeacherIsAnAlien'': A series that starts out about WeNeedToGetProof, but halfway through, turns into a series about HumanityOnTrial.
** ''My Teacher Fried My Brains''
** ''My Teacher Glows In The Dark''
** ''My Teacher Flunked The Planet''
** ''Into the Land of the Unicorns''
** ''Song of the Wanderer''
** ''Dark Whispers''
** ''The Last Hunt''
* ''The Monsters of Morley Manor''
* And numerous short stories and short story anthologies.
!!Is associated with the following tropes:
* AdaptationExpansion: Coville has done this with three of his own short stories.
** Every book in his ''Bruce Coville's Book Of...'' anthology series begins with one of his own stories. The first of these, ''My Little Brother Is a Monster'' (published in 1993), was expanded and adapted into the full-length book ''Always October'' in 2012.
** The seventh through eleventh volumes (published in 1996 and 1997) began with the five-part SerialNovel ''The Monsters of Morley Manor'', which was expanded and modified into its own book of the same title, released in 2003.
** ''Clean As a Whistle'', first published in the 1994 anthology ''Oddly Enough'', has been expanded into a full-length novel, ''Diary of a Mad Brownie'', slated for release in 2015.
* AlienLunch: Loves describing strange and unusual foods, which more often than not, actually turn out to be quite tasty.
* DarkIsNotEvil: Few of the monsters or supernatural entities in the books are evil. At worst, they're tragic [[AntiVillain Anti-Villains]].
* DefangedHorrors: Some of them fall right into the category of actual horror, though.
* EndOfAnAge: The former magical age of the earth is implied in several continuities (TheUnicornChronicles and Literature/MagicShop).
* TheLittleShopThatWasntThereYesterday: S. H. Elives' wandering magic shoppe appears in many of his stories.
* TranslatorMicrobes: Make an appearance in many of his novels involving trans-species communication. Takes the form of a translator implant in the MyTeacherIsAnAlien series, and a gift of dragon's blood in TheUnicornChronicles.