->''"[[Film/TheAmazingSpiderMan You seriously think I'm a cop, dressed in a skin-tight red and blue suit?]]"''
With a dorky smile, a friendly disposition, and heaps of talent, it's not hard to see why Andrew Garfield is one of the most sought after young actors working today.
Garfield was born in Los Angeles in 1983, to a British mother and an American father, and was raised Jewish. He has spent most of his life in the UK. If you're on TV Tropes at all, then you've probably seen him in a [[Series/DoctorWho television show]] or two. With a BAFTA for his performance for ''Boy A'', it was strange that Hollywood didn't pay that much attention to him in the earlier years of his career.
That is, until he burst onto the scene with his performance as Eduardo Saverin in ''Film/TheSocialNetwork'' and as Tommy in ''Film/NeverLetMeGo'', both released in 2010. (Also in 2010, he starred in a delightful short film called ''I'm Here''. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qow5_R0ab7w Trailer here]] ) Showing some amazing skill and giving some wonderful and [[TearJerker heart-wrenching]] performances in both of his films, Hollywood has taken notice.
His StarMakingRole became playing Franchise/SpiderMan in the short-lived ''Film/TheAmazingSpiderManSeries''. While he didn't get to make a trilogy, it looks like he has a bright future ahead of him with a leading role in the historical drama ''Silence'', a Creator/MartinScorsese movie.
* ''Film/TheOtherBoleynGirl'' (2008)
* ''Film/TheImaginariumOfDoctorParnassus'' (2009)
* ''Series/RedRiding'' (2009)
* ''Film/NeverLetMeGo'' (2010)
* ''Film/TheSocialNetwork'' (2010)
* ''Film/TheAmazingSpiderMan'' (2012)
* ''Film/TheAmazingSpiderMan2'' (2014)
* ''Silence'' (TBA)
* FakeAmerican: Although American-born, he was raised his entire life in Surrey, predominantly speaks in a thick British accent and identifies himself as British.
* GoingCommando: He mentioned that since the Spider-Man suit was so tight, he had to do this when filming The Amazing Spider-Man. [[MrFanservice No one's complaining]] except him (apparently, the costume was made with uncomfortable material).
* ManlyTears: One of his specialties: he pulls it off marvelously.
* MrFanservice: Tumblr users everwhere have expressed intense appreciation for his butt. Not like anyone could blame them.
* OlderThanTheyLook: He doesn't look his age.
* OldShame: He doesn't seem particularly proud being in ''Film/TheAmazingSpiderMan2''. He told interviewers about WhatCouldHaveBeen and actually [[http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/05/01/spider-man-actor-andrew-garfield-got-himself-fired-from-series-by-insulting-sony-chief blew off a dinner meant to announce the third movie]]. Sony was seriously considering firing him and [[TheOtherDarrin replacing him with another actor]] a la ''Film/BatmanForever'', but the series was cancelled before anything could come to fruition (and Spider-Man was recast anyway for a ContinuityReboot set in the Franchise/MarvelCinematicUniverse).
* PromotedFanboy: To the point that he actually shed tears when he got to wear the Spider-Man suit for the first time.
* RomanceOnTheSet: He dated Creator/EmmaStone, his co-star in ''Film/TheAmazingSpiderManSeries''. They broke up after becoming separated by the geographical distance of Taiwan (where they filmed ''Silence'') and [[AwfulTruth he admitted to]] [[YourCheatingHeart cheating on her there]], to their mutual disappointment. They reconciled a few weeks afterward.