"Urbanus" is a [[LongRunner long running]] (1982) Flemish comic strip, based on the popular Flemish comedian and singer Urbanus, who also writes the stories. The strip itself is drawn by Willy Linthout. It's by far one of the most popular comic strips based on a celebrity, and thanks to the popularity of the comedian in the Netherlands also a success there.
The stories revolve around Urbanus, a ten year old boy with a full beard, who is basically a bad boy. His father, CÚsar, is a [[AlcoholicParent drunk]], pipe smoking fool who constantly [[YourCheatingHeart cheats]] on his [[IncorruptiblePurePureness very pious]] [[FemaleAngelMaleDemon wife]] Eufrazie (Usually PlayedForLaughs). Urbanus has two pets: a yellow dog [[RaymanianLimbs with a floating head just above the lower jaw]] called Nabuko Donosor and Amedee [[OnlySaneMan the intelligent fly]]. Just like the real Urbanus the characters all live in the village Tollembeek. The strip has many secondary characters who are all either stupid or corrupt, or both. "Urbanus" is a children's strip, but has a lot of bawdy, blasphemous and violent jokes.
!!''Urbanus'' provides examples of:
* AlcoholicParent: Cesar.
* AmusingInjuries: Pretty much OncePerEpisode.
* AnimatedAdaptation: One short cartoon film was made, called "Het Lustige Kapoentje".
* AntiHero: Urbanus, who is just a bad boy.
* AprilFoolsPlot: The album "De Hete Urbanus" takes this as a plot development start.
* ArtEvolution: The early albums were very amateuristic, yet over the years this has improved.
* ArtShift: Frequent cameos of other comic strip or cartoon characters can be found in the strip. The authors also collaborated with comic strip author Merho of DeKiekeboes to have a special crossover album.
* BackwardsFiringGun: In "De dochter van Urbanus", there are three of them.
* BreakingTheFourthWall: Characters frequently address the audience.
* BreastExpansion: Eufrazie implants silicones into her breasts in the album "Urbanus zijn snippelepipke rekt uit".
* BuddyCopShow: RenÚ and Modest, two brainlessly agressive cops.
* ButtMonkey: Dikke Herman, a fat kid with glasses, rabbit teeth and a large quiff, usually ends up being punished or beaten. Sometimes justified, but not always.
* TheCameo: Many over the years.
* ChristianityIsCatholic: All churches are Catholic, Urbanus' mother is a pious woman and Urbanus frequently visits Heaven and Hell.
* ComedicHero: Urbanus
* CompositeCharacter: In-universe, Nabuko Donosor actually is two characters, usually treated as one.
* ConspicuousCG: The 3D album.
* CorruptChurch: The local priest is a hypocritical drunk who frequently visits the town's whore.
** At the end of "De Sponskesrace" the stories continues on the grey back cover of the album, because the characters are late with the conclusion of the story.
* CrossOver: Urbanus had a crossover with the comic strip DeKiekeboes in the album "Kiekebanus".
* CulturalTranslation: This comic is as Flemish as it gets. All characters speak the Flemish dialect and even in the Netherlands no attempt is made to speak standard Dutch. Sometimes a small caption gives an explanation of an expression to the Dutch readers.
* DeathIsCheap: The main characters have died numerous times, but always find ways back to life.
* DirtyOldMan: Most adult characters on occasion, but Cesar and Nonkel Fillemon regularly.
* FemaleAngelMaleDemon: Cesar and Eufrazie on the few occasions when they [[DeathIsCheap die]] and go to heaven and hell respectively.
* FreestateAmsterdam: The Netherlands is depicted this way in the album "De laatste Hollander" (the last Dutchman).
* HouseWife: Urbanus' mother, Eufrazie.
* HumansAreBastards: Most characters don't seem to have any kind of conscience.
* IncorruptiblePurePureness: Eufrazie is practically saintly in her religion. PlayedForLaughs, as she often becomes the ButtMonkey because of this, but also often an important plot point.
* InnocentProdigy: Urbanus is a child with a beard. Sometimes he is childishly naive or innocent. Other times he thinks just like an adult.
* LosingYourHead: Nabuko Donosor the dog's head and upper jaw float above the rest of his body.
* ManChild: Urbanus, who is a little boy with a full grown beard, just like the real life comedian.
* ManipulativeBastard: Urbanus
* NationalStereotypes: Mainly Belgian and surrounding countries.
* OnlySaneMan: Amedee.
* PoliceBrutality: RenÚ and Modest are two policemen who are very fond of beating suspects up.
* PrintLongRunners: Since 1982.
* RaymanianLimbs: Nabuko Donosor, whose head is split above the lower jaw. His upper head is completely separate and has a separate sentience from his lower body, making him technically two characters, Nabuko and Donosor. They are usually treated as one character, making him a literal CompositeCharacter.
* Really700YearsOld: Urbanus' uncle, "Nonkel Fillemon", was over hundred years old, but never seemed to die. This irritates Urbanus' family, because they want to inherit his fortune.
* ReferenceOverdosed: Several references to other comics, TV shows, films and Dutch and Flemish pop culture stuff.
* SadistTeacher: Urbanus' teacher, Mr. Kweepeer.
* SdrawkcabAlias: The character Ed Luived is actually Satan in disguise. ("De Duivel" is Dutch for "The Devil".)
* TalkingAnimal: The animals in the Urbanus household, as well as some other animals, can speak. When an animal eats soup letters mixed with rotten eggs, they become very intelligent and can speak as well.
* TheLittleShopThatWasntThereYesterday: ''Het Zwarte Winkeltje'' had one of these, that appeared whenever Urbanus was nearby.
* TheThemeParkVersion: Belgium and Holland, mainly.
* TyrantTakesTheHelm: Urbanus in "De kleine tiran".
* UnclePennybags: Nonkel Fillemon, Urbanus' rich uncle.
* WholesomeCrossdresser: Urbanus disguises himself as a girl in "Urbanellalla".
* YankTheDogsChain: Urbanus never inherits his rich, old uncle's money.
** This happens all the time to Urbanus and his family.
* YourCheatingHeart: Cesar, who constantly chases after other women.