''This Modern World'' is a weekly comic strip/political cartoon by Tom Tomorrow AKA Dan Perkins. Appearing in various [[AmericanNewspapers alternative newspapers]] around the US, and online at Daily Kos, the strip takes a very ''very'' liberal look at current events. Often stars Sparky, an acerbic sunglass-wearing penguin, and the Very Nice dog Blinky.
Tomorrow has also written a (non-partisan and theoretically non-political) children's book ''The Very Silly Mayor.''
The strip's official site is [[http://thismodernworld.com/ here]].
!!''This Modern World'' provides examples of:
* AnimatedAdaptation: A WebAnimation during the dot-com boom.
* AuthorAvatar: Sparky, although he sometimes interacts with Tomorrow in-strip as well.
* TheBlank: In one series of strips, one of these runs for president.
* CoolShades: Sparky's eyewear.
* CutAndPasteComic: Tomorrow uses/traces over vintage clipart to create the strip's look.
* EarthShatteringKaboom: Depicted more than once.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: Plutocrat Pete and Tea Party Tim both hate taxes, but Plutocrat Pete doesn't want to force the government to default, and sees Tim as a "nihilistic moron willing to crash the entire economy."
* EverythingsBetterWithPenguins: Sparky.
* KentBrockmanNews: Broadcasts of the Action [=McNews=] Network.
* KillThePoor: One strip shows a post-apocalyptic world where the poor are fattened up on the available food and eaten by the rich.
* StrawCharacter: Biff, the strip's resident Republican.
* TakeThat: Republicans and conservatives in general.
* WallOfText: Lampshaded by the artist on more than one occasion.