[[caption-width-right:210:The logo, featuring the title characters]]
''Hi and Lois'' is an American newspaper comic begun in 1954. It centralizes on Hiram and Lois Flagston, a suburban family with several children: Chip, Dot, Ditto and Trixie. It was first written by ''ComicStrip/BeetleBailey'' creator Mort Walker and drawn by ''ComicStrip/HagarTheHorrible'' creator Dik Browne; following Dik's death in 1989, his son, Chance, took over drawing, with Mort's sons Brian and Greg taking over on writing.
* AerithAndBob: Their names aren't that far-fetched, save for "Ditto."
* TheAlcoholic: Thirsty Thurston.
* ComicBookTime: Chip started out as an eight-year-old, but has been a teenager for quite some time. Dot and Ditto have aged slightly as well. And Trixie wasn't born until a few years after the strip started.
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: [[http://www.artbaxter.com/images/blog/2008-postings/topless_backs/lois-9.28.71.gif This]] strip from September 28, 1971. (Seriously, it probably happens all the time in real life.)
* HonestJohnsDealership: Lois is usually a decent, honest woman. But in her profession as a real estate saleswoman, she stretches the truth as much as anyone else in the business.
* ImaginaryFriend: Subverted with Trixie, who has long, reflected conversations with The Sunbeam. Not ''a'' Sunbeam. ''The'' Sunbeam.
* LongRunner: Started in 1954 and hasn't stopped.
* MeaningfulName: Hi and Lois ("high and low"); oldest son Chip ("chip off the old block"); baby Trixie ("full of tricks"); younger children Dot and Ditto ("ditto" means "copy of", which either refers to his twin sister or his father -- Ditto's real name is Hiram Jr); boozehound neighbor Thirsty Thurston.
* PosterGalleryBedroom: The 2/23/13 strip shows Chip's bedroom to have a Cubs pennant and posters of Music/TheWho, Music/TheRollingStones and Music/LedZeppelin. As one commentator pointed out, these are not exactly bands contemporary teenagers are big on.
* ShoutOut: [[ComicStrip/CalvinAndHobbes Rosalyn]] has a cameo as Dot and Ditto's babysitter in the [[http://hiandlois.com/comics/october-25-2014/ 10/25/2014 strip.]]
* SpinOff: The Flagstons first appeared in ''ComicStrip/BeetleBailey''. Lois is Beetle's sister.
** There was a CrossOver to celebrate the 40th anniversary of ''Hi and Lois'' in 1994, with Beetle visiting the Flagstons for a week on furlough.
* ThemeTwinNaming: Don't twins have enough identity issues without being named "Ditto"?
* UglyGuyHotWife: PlayedStraight with the titular couple in earlier years, being downplayed more recently.
** The 60th anniversary strip showed how Lois morphed from the stereotypical 1950s-60s bombshell housewife to the more homely yet still attractive mother, with the late 80s-early 90s becoming the turning point (mainly because of Dik Browne's death).